Wednesday, July 19, 2023

July 18th - Chunnel to London

July 18th - Chunnel to London

Well I left Paris, lovely city but not so enjoyable travelling alone! At least here I wasn't really holding anyone up with my slowing down. Glad I still met up with some cruise friends as Adrianthe Director was gone after he met us from the L'Atelier tour. So I took the taxi to the Paris Gare du Nord like 1/2 hour at most and 18€, not bad I think. Inside I found my schedule but no gate so was going to ask security when a worker in a vest stepped forward and helped me out. Talk about a process to get through the 2 block long 3-4 passport check points before getting to the Lounge to wait for boarding. Smooth access to the train but GOSH the huge suitcases everyone uses is ridiculous!!! I'm glad I down sized as now "I" have cart and lift etc myself for these three train trips.

I still don't think we are at the tunnels but maybe I'm wrong? We're still outside viewing countryside. I'm freezing on this train too - maybe sitting still and tired - lucky I wore my jeans and sweatshirt for travelling. Yes I was wrong, it was about half way through the 2 hour trip that it was the tunnels down, straight and up - all popped my ears and felt funny but I did doze as I had my hood up, so cozy.




Train direct to London.  Tunnels 75 m below sea level at deepest part.  Each tunnel is 50.45 km long.  Record breaking top speed is 334.7 km/hr.  We were travelling at 291 km/hr - no wonder I felt the trip.

Got onto London and everyone rushed out the doors and no signs to taxis or anyone wanted to stop and answer my questions. So I kept walking to where a line of taxis went by with people inside, found the taxis lined up and asked if for hire. He waved me ahead and that's when I saw the que for them. All good!

My guy was nice and told me about the route and also of a place for goid fish n chips near me.

Now my hotel is NOTHING to write about but hotels are very pricey here so guess that's OK. I was spoiled with the cruise bookings. So I freshened up and strolled down to SeaFresh for shrimp appetizer and fish n chips with Pino grigio. OH again my eyes are lots bigger than my stomach but she said I've till 10:30 to finish off. Will see!






No comments: