Saturday, July 22, 2023

July 22nd - Stratford-upon-Avon 2a

July 22nd - Stratford-upon-Avon 2a

Hmmm it's raining outside, and feeling a bit shitty so tested and all is good!  Going for breakfast.


Ohhh I think this place has given me a deal and breakfast is 20P but I think we'll worth it for the selection and presentation!  Delicious too!!!


From my 2nd floor stairwell by my door.

So Jane met me and claims this is the worst layout for a hotel, but nice. I thought so too as reception is from the car park out back not the street entrance and so many split levels everywhere!

We walked through the rain with umbrellas and rain jackets along the river path a ways, turned back along the canal and more swans before going into town to see Shakespeare's church where he supposedly is buried, but I'm finding out in some cases not true! 

Monkey Tree

Holy Trinity Church, Stratford upon Avon in Warwickshire

Apparently buried deep in the back chapel.






Lovely gardens everywhere.

The Swan Theatre (appropriately named)


She has 11 cygnets!!!

A chestnut tree, HUGE!


Shakespeare's birthplace, just snapped between passing tourists.

Also his birthplace and checked out a couple of shops and a central market place where I bought dragonfly earrings. Then we tried a Pub she recommended for lunch, but the menu was not to our liking and it was busy. So we looked elsewhere until she chose Wildwood, the place I visited yesterday.  The waitress recognized me and I had the bruchetta again and Jane had the tomatoes and red pepper soup - both were delicious. Then I chose the lemon tart with ice cream and Jane had tiramusu for desserts - Yummy!!! 




We walked past Arden House where I originally wanted to be booked into. Afterwards we checked out Shakespeare's school where he began his writings and a small chapel with recent discoveries of artworks under the clay(?) rock coatings.

Arden House, my original booking.



Back view, the house on the right used to belong to Jane's grandfather. 

See lovely gardens.


His school

The Chapel

Apparently his house was across the street but someone bought the property, tore it down and built a private admittance garden. Then back to my hotel to sit and have tea/wine, tat and chat! Lovely visit!

No comments: