Saturday, April 05, 2008

My Quilting Start!!!

Thank you Susan for asking about my story on this! I keep forgetting about "how" I got started in this madness! Yep that orchid one is basically the "first" major project I've done. But about five years before that I made my first actual project - a large tumbling blocks cushion top with Sylvia (worn out now) and then another one I did on my own but used scissors and nothing is matching (still use this one)!!!

Then with a co-worker's guidance and a number of tried and true shortcuts, purchased the right tools to do the job right, I practiced first on this small 6" square of appliqued robin on a branch with cherries to understand what I had to do (check out the uneven binding!!!). Well that baby was done like overnight and poor Shirley didn't know what hit her as she unleashed a stitching demon and I've not stopped since - hand needle turn applique is still my #1 favourite.



I then started on this Phaleonopsis pattern from Keepsake Quilting and finished it in three months (80 hours). Actually Orchids Forever was displayed at the 2000 Orchind Show and Competition the week after I finished it and won a Red Ribbon (was even offered $300 cash on the spot - but could not part with it), then at our Red River Exhibition where it also won a ribbon and then at our guild's quilt show but no ribbon there. I'm still very proud of it and once Christmas is over it goes back onto the wall in my entrance way (bought a simple but lovely hanger) - you can see it from just about any direction. I keep thinking I'd rotate from work and home but it seems to just stay put here with me - LOL!



Then there was a request for 6" finished blocks for "Breast Cancer Awareness" with one of the Book Clubs I was in and so I did up "My Blooming Inspiration!" block from the above pattern and sent it off (did not hear anything if it was used or not though).



As for my postcards (link to BLOG postcards entries), well so far I only have one small stand I bought at ValuVillage for $0.99 and it sits on my desk with the recently received and/or my made postcards for all to enjoy.



At home well I'm more lax and just have no room for such a display BUT do have one of my CQd hearts in a mat and one of those acrylic picture stands on my knick knack stand and also my "all white" CQd postcard on black velvet and sandwiched under glass (frameless) on an easel also at work - my favourite so far. Otherwise I keep them all in binders by group and swapping topic.



BUT one of these days I intend to sew up a wall hanging with cut out clear plastic table cloth pockets (front and back) so I can change them as I feel and also still read the back (which is very important to me) and see the stamp too! You'd be surprised how many at work can not BELIEVE we dare to send these "treasures" through the mail and most without envelope protection! LOL!

Okay back to breakie and sewing for me - very very very busy weekend in store for me!

1 comment:

Susan said...

How cool to see some of your earlier pieces. I love needleturn applique, too, though I have little time for it now that I'm doing so much CQ.