Wednesday, April 23, 2008

1930s Needlecase Story

Okay the cat’s out of the bag so to speak! So I can tell all now!

See, I am very bad with keeping secrets or surprises and needless to say I wrote to a friend, sister and niece whom are my sounding boards so to speak after sending off the XP package on Monday. I just could not contain myself and did not trust spilling the beans if I wrote more so to speak!!! Phew, needless to say I’ve been on pins and needles with this blasted storm in Alberta and especially after Susan mentioned that they were snowbound and the shop closed and when asked - that sometimes the mail is elastic bound and hanging from the door knob – YIKES!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well a long time ago Susan made me a mini 1930s quilt and I just LOVE it (yep in greens) and we got to talking about 1930s fabrics and how she takes her Redwork (or whatever colour she’s working in) to the beach to stitch while the kids are playing etc. Well she mentioned she didn’t have a proper needlecase and like for her scissors, thread etc. – she had seen the one I had just made for my girlfriend in blues and how she’d someday like to find a red one and I decided I’d make her one. YEAH what century eh? Well I did do the crazy patch stuff a long time ago and just never finished it off till this past weekend. Yes the one I posted earlier.



Guess she didn't remembers our discussion, cause I just got a brief note from the blog entry that she liked it, or if she’s sitting there wishing it’s for her (which apparently she was - chuckling)!!! I sure hope she likes it and USES it, not like the hand pincushion she’s not gonna use - just keeping it on display! Yep, I was sitting on pins and needles just wishing I could tell her but I wanted it to be a surprise for when she receives the package and opens it!





email from Susan:
!!!
The mail guy just came. I'm speechless

email from Me:
Oh Oh why? (her reply named me a BRAT! - me?)

Now some friends have put their two cents in and told her to use it and enjoy it so hopefully she'll listen to them if not me - LOL! But I have to share this bit with you as truly I did not know this, but coincidental that I too am a hummingbird watcher and in the process of making a couple of wall hangings for myself with hummingbirds!!!

email from Susan:
Yeah and I'm not even sure RoseAnne knows how special hummingbirds are to me. When my mom died, we put a porcelain hummingbird in her hands. Most of the summer before she passed away, she'd sit at my kitchen table and really, really enjoy watching the hummingbirds come to the feeder at the back door. And this case has an itty bitty hummingbird stitched on it with silk ribbon and the whole bird is about 1/2" small! Very very special. OH I LOVE IT I LOVE IT I LOVE IT I LOVE IT!!! And it brought tears to MY eyes!

1 comment:

Dale Anne Potter said...

I'm so glad you surprised her!!!
She needed that today after 4 days of being snowed in!
{{{{{HUGS}}}}}