Saturday, March 27, 2021

March 26th & 27th

March 26th

Hmmmm I came over to Sylvia's to work on the RCMP quilt borders AND the power in the block went off totally! No announcements or activity in the hallways so pulled the table to the patio windows and finished pinning two borders. Hope it's not off too long or I won't get that sewn nor the promised supper!!!!

Two plus hours and Yeah back on 15 - back to making supper - back to sewing!

Losing 2 plus hours took the steam outta me! I finished that inside border and the outer border for another day! But Sylvia spoiled me with baked meatloaf, potato n cheese casserole, cooked carrots, salad and jello n frozen yogurt! At least that was not a goner! 💞💞💞

I could not resist returning to the We are Sisters mystery quilt, now revealed. So I corrected my directional delimma and hoped to finish off the last border - NADA! I hate my yellow/gold fabric on this last border so am very happy Sylvia is letting me use more of her deeper gold. Tomorrow I'll finish it off!


YIKES!!! I've finally finished the seven tatted snowflakes, washed, blocked and starched them Wednesday night. 

Thursday taking the pins out, there are rust dots from the pins in a few spots. I was totally disgusted and nearly chucked all in the garbage. 😖😖😖 “Just Tatting" FB group and Jane to the rescue! 

Wellllll I soaked all in vinegar for a while, scrubbed spots, let soak again and 75% of spots gone or appear smaller. Then rinsed well and washed in oxy clean (?) before pressing between a towel and left to dry.

Today I used Stiffen spray starch for fabric/doilies, no pins this time, and pray it does not bloom, or I'll be madly retatting more snowflakes! 🤞🤞🤞

I need Saturday daytime light to check them, hopefully not noticeable and one last starching before mailing off! This was a first for me of years of starching, will invest in brass pins for future projects. 🤔🤔🤔

March 27th

Well it's better but not gone!  So I dod a second starching and tomorrow will package them to send off.  She knows about this and still wants them!  Hope on the tree it's not noticeable! 

Covid go to !@#$ already! Yes I'm healthy, I've lots to be thankful for, BUT I've also had enough already!!! Guess I'm having a bad day!

Yeah! I've finally overcome my own obstacles in this mystery! I really like the overall effect and sure hope someone will enjoy it whenever I finish it off and donate to ABC! Thank you Kathy and Bonnie!


This is from the Scrappy Sisters I had to share along with my finished top for my family and friends! Thank you Kathy and Bonnie!


I know now WHY I dislike and have such a difficult time with quilting mysteries! It dates back to the Aurora retreat we had in Kenosee SK back in 90s? It was suggested to prep batiks for that weekend’s mystery by Lorlie Engbrecht! Well at that time I did not like batiks and was leary about the design etc so purchased inexpensive fabric, dots on various colours, and thought I’d remake it later on if I liked it! Hated the fabrics once finished, but did like the design, just not ever revisited! WRONG, WRONG, WRONG in so many ways and thought processes back then! 

Well a few mysteries under my wing and still I haven’t learnt!!! Finally one from Western Retreat by Verona Procyshyn June 2005, I used fabrics I liked, completed Dec 2011 and it still graces my bed winters. The one and only applique MPQ BOM (kinda a mystery) I too am enjoying – my choices of fabrics too! 

Then during Covid I’ve partaken in a couple more mysteries, two not finished as yet, and this We Are Sisters one, top is finished, are all to try to get me into a happy mysteries mode, but not too sure, and are all destined to be charity quilts when completed. This latest one I also chose my “likeable” fabrics in the MPQ logo colour palette and like the overall effect BUT ran into other issues – using directional fabrics, wrong selection of three in one of the colour choice and when switching running out of fabric!!! 

So here’s what “I” have deduced with mysteries and “Me”!!! 

1. Not keen on not seeing the design even if I love the challenge! 

2. Do not wish to use my “favourite” fabrics – what if I don’t like it when completed? 

3. Did I choose the right fabrics for the various steps or goofed up? 

4. Do not use directional fabrics period! 

5. Do not want to buy more fabrics – what if I’m not keen on the end result? 

6. Ensure you have enough fabric for each requirement! 

7. Sometimes not keen on the end result and feel cheated if “favourites” were used and I end up donating it. 

8. I feel bad for the designer who spent hours to make this mystery and in the end it’s not to my liking and I’m not happy – not their fault at all!!! 

Guess I’ll have to suck it up and decide to ENJOY the surprise process of mysteries and not stress on whether I’ll like the end result! Someone will be very happy with my charity quilt!

2005 Westen Retreat mystery

2019 MPQ Applique BOM

2021 MPQ We Are Sisters Mystery!

No comments: