Thursday, April 02, 2009

Another Winter Day!

YEP we are still getting snow but today it is very light thank goodness. Hopefully it'll stop so I can use the car again this weekend. A friend of mine wrote that she was exhausted from reading my blog??? HUH, she should be in this old BOD and even today my muscles are still twitching or feel like ants within and naturally my joints are aching too! Ibuprophen to the rescue!!! Yes, I sat home tonight and stitched as I had just received some Japanese Buttonhole Twist (JBT) and can't wait to try it out on some seam treatments.

Well I finished off the promised two seam treatments on Diane's FFT#5 RR and just LOVE it!!! Either I'm loosing some of my anxiety of working on others blocks, loosening up on my need to be perfect stitching or just darn right enjoying myself with the challenges presented in each block. I'm not sure which it is or a combination of all but this one went lots easier once I got myself to stitching.

Okay first I did my usual web in metallic DMC and beaded body spider with buttonhole twist Bullion knot legs. Then I used the varigated Waterlilies silk floss for a bordering vine and leaves. And finally I saw this "bottlebrush bush" design in the "Candlewicking" book, loved it and waited for the ideal spot to use it. There was the perfect corner on this block so I sort of followed the design but did not use the Edmar rayon threads but used my Caron Waterlilie silk flosses instead. I naturally did not do it exactly like the design as I freehand embroidered so how the stitches laid that's how I went. LOL! Then I hit a snag and could not decide where or how to anchor my crocheted heart - so I've left it to someone else to do so or even Diane!



I mulled over the two seam treatments and finally came to a decision after work today. on the upper left area away from the butterfly I decided to do one of JO's seam treatments and used the JBT for the base, then switched to the Chinese silk (snaggy stuff when you have rough hands) for the fern parts and then another colour for the leaf tip. This I thought was really lovely but I took some artistic license and added beads to the centre points.

from JO in NZ

The second seam I did a soft yellow JBT feather stitch along with JBT coral colonial knots at the ends, and thought this is a nice soft border but not detracting from the two patches on either side.



Okay, that's it, I'm letting it fly to Finland now and let Ritva work her tatting magic on it!!!

after Rose Anne

Wonder what the next block will bring for a challenge???

1 comment:

Skye said...

Rose Anne, your work is always so beautiful..I love reading and looking through your blocks...hugs, skye