Sunday, March 21, 2010

Recent Life Changes

I've received some emails on my recent weight loss and some have asked what diet etc I'm on.  Well none this time around.  Yes I too have tried diets and even Weight Watchers but as soon as you return to your normal food POOOOOF all is lost and more gained too boot! So after my diabetis scare in October I've decided I better change my eating habits and this is how I've done it so far.

1. before October (one year exactly) I decided to cut out second helpings unless it was a small amount of something very special and only rarely - I'd lost 7 pounds - then the checkup

2. from October onwards I decided to cut back on heaping plates and just eating sensible portions and cutting out ongoing snacking

 
3. from October onwards decided to spend my lunch hours for a brisk walk (not during the colder days tho)

 
4. also since October I've cut out my daily binges of Pepsi and regular urges for chocolate bars/candies

 
5. I tried to replace regular Pepsi with diet but hate the taste so save the regular canned Pepsi for when I do go out and have it as a treat (6 times since October) and I do have the squat cans in my fridge for whenever I do get the urge at home, but so far that hasn't been a problem

 
6. I've restricted the chocolate binges with small portions periodically and even selected Diabetic chocolates and even cut back on the chips and dips too

7. I also recently met with a dietitian and we went over my food intake, my supplements, my exercise (or lack of) and also checked my blood sugar which was perfect at 5.2 midway between meals.  She said basically I was doing it all right except my amounts of groups of foods so off and needed adjusting - which I'm trying.

8. also the dietitian guided me to the website Dietitians of Canada which has an eaTracker system that I use for my daily food, supplements and exercise logging and it gives me an assessment of how I'm doing right down to my BMI which is bad right now!!!  It also has a Recipe Analyzer but as yet I've not used it.

9. Now I'm trying to include weekend walks and today was my first long distance brisk walk and with Rand McNally I figured out the distance - just over 5 km within 60 minutes!!!

10. AND now I've bought myself a digital weigh scale and will try and check it weekly at the same time - naturally I couldn't resist trying it out a couple of times this week and yes I'm still going down!!!

My next Dr checkup is in June and I'm very curious to see how well I do on this plan and hope there is a major difference and for once he's pleased with my efforts!!! I definitely know that I am!!!

So being a statistical clerk during the day, I enjoy the aspect of my own Excel file tracking it all and hopefully will have major results by my checkup in June and the proof for the Dr here too. Now I presume there is something equivalent for the USA or other countries, if not check the Canadian site out anyways.

2 comments:

Carol Schockling Lawecki said...

Congratulations on your weight loss and goal of getting healthier!! Best of luck in your continued good health and new regiment you have started. :)

Judy said...

Boy, I admire your willpower, if you can have the Pepsi in the fridge and not drink it!