Sunday, May 14, 2017

"O Canada"

OMGG my "O Canada" hanger is FINALLY completed!!!!  My creativity representing Canada's diversity of its people.  I wanted to share my love of shuttle tatting within this creation to celebrate Canada's 150th birthday and for this event.   It took me ages to tat all of the nine items and then determination in the quilting aspect as I had no clue what and how to finish it off!!!  I bit the bullet so to speak as I'm running out of time and went with echoing.

The tatted designs from left to right and top to bottom were obtained from the following free online patterns:
My Heart from Pinterest plus Mary's Heavenly Heart by Mary Joseph Donahue
Hearts Entwined/Crowning Hearts by Tat-a-Renda
Li'l Heart by Brigitte Phelps plus Mary's Heavenly Heart by Mary Joseph Donahue
Simple Heart by Sharon Briggs
Canadian Sugar Maple Leaf by Gale Marshall
Modern Heart Motif by Mark Meyers
Jon's Heart by Jon Yusoff
Heart's Desire by Susan K Fuller
Small Tatted Heart by Betsy Evans plus Mary's Heavenly Heart by Mary Joseph Donahue

Since the maple leaf was larger than the hearts it was tatted with size 20 Lizbeth cotton (finer thread) and the hearts with size 10 Crochet cotton (thicker thread) for a better fit.  These were all tatted and hand stitched onto fabric blocks, sized and assembled with sashing before quilted.

This was a joy to stitch and I hope it brings more joy to whomever garners this treasure from the auction in support of the Manitoba Crafts Museum and Library.  Once I know when and where this will happen I'll post that too.





3 comments:

Lace-lovin' Librarian ~ Diane said...

Beautiful! I like that you used two different thread sizes to achieve the look you wanted. I look forward to learning the results of the auction!

muskaan said...

I've been following your progress and this has turned out beautifully ! Fabulous quilt and very much Canadian :-) Great working.

Jane McLellan said...

It's really pretty!