Tuesday, April 06, 2010

Monday's Fun!

Even with a three-day migraine type headache I still was able to enjoy the simplicity and practicality of this simple tool.  I know I should have taken the video from start to finish - one day I'll redo it!  But I was too excited to record the action now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V78EXy19-qI

Okay this is what fun I had yesterday but had to fast hand it over to Michelle as that spinning motion just about did me in (I look a wreck).  I left the other two skeins of crochet cotton with Michelle and she will kindly wind them into a ball for me at her leisure.  What a sweetie she is!





This item was her Mom’s and it took a minute or two to figure out how it assemble the five pieces.  But talk about lickety split for it's value I tell you. I had spent two evenings undoing the skein, placing it over two chairs, trying to control it and winding the cotton into a ball.  Here I’d say it took 15-20 minutes???  WOW eh!

4 comments:

crazyQstitcher said...

It would be a rapid way to turn a skein to a ball.

misfitknits said...

these are great little contraptions aren't they!!! what a great little piece of history that one is!!

if any tatters *or anyone else for that matter* would like to buy one, these are called skein winders or swifts. they are quite common in the hand spinning and knitting communities and can still be bought at many retailers, just do a google search and you will find many!!! i have one, and i must say, i think they are an indespinsible tool!! HINT: one of the cheapest places to get one may well be knitpicks.com they sell quality yet affordable knitting tools.

Diane said...

What a great idea! I remember many times holding my arms out with the skein around them while my mum would the wool into a ball! I wonder if this would be useful for dying thread or wool?

kerrykatiecakes2 said...

Cool new toy RA!