Sunday, March 22, 2009

Thread Sketching Workshop

Well I can tell you that it was rough getting up this morning after the heavy concentration happening in yesterday's workshop, but boy am I glad I went to both. This one especially as I was impressed with some machine embroidered trees I had see in some magazines and I did take another workshop BUT this one was much easier to grasp and actually do for me!!!

So first off we worked on a 4 x 6" sketched pine tree image and I took a single tree as I remembered my disasterous attempts in the past and put my mind to doing the steps and seeing where it took me. WELL, I LOVE IT!!!

with Norma's matt

Yes, it is totally finished except for the matt and frame I have to pick up but it is stitched, sandwiched, and even "signed". I still have to make up the paper label to attach to the back.

see it's a tree!





finished n signed

Even my sister who mastered the water solvable Sulky technique found these steps easier to produce a finished image in much less time. She was impressed and very happy with this weekends sessions.





her's n mine



I think most finished their sketches in the morning.

Then the afternoon we worked on a larger 8 x 10" dragon or dansel fly sketch and this one I found lots trickier. But then it may have had something to do with the fact that I THOUGHT I had lowered my feeddogs but actually hadn't but I still got all my stitching done and even couched yarn around the wings and painted them too. Yep I'm happy with it even if it might have been lots better with them feeddogs down - who knows???


stitching on paper sketch from back - bobbin on front is right side


brushing fabric paint onto wings

For some reason Sylvia did not get much of her second image done, but then she had 5 trees on her island so that could be the reason!!! But she'll probably have these two totally finished before I get around to thinking about working on them again!!!

11 comments:

Diane said...

Looks like a great day's work. Is this the technique where you wear rubber gloves to move the fabric around? The finished project is really lovely.

Rose Anne B said...

Thank you Diane, hope you are checking back here for your answer as I've no email to reply to.

Yes, you are probably right that some type of gloves would have helped with the "free-motion" embroidery as a few times it was getting sluggish to move around.

Yes it was and Thank You!

Hillside Threads said...

I'm so glad I bookmarked your blog. I love what you are doing. This is the kind of thing I would like to try. Being cheeky do you have a pdf of the instructions or what you have written here in the last 2 posts?
Jane

Connie said...

Rose Anne, This is a really cool technique. You'll have to come to the retreat and teach us!

allie aller said...

What a great workshop!
Thanks so much for sharing it with us....

Thelma said...

Very nice Rose Anne! Looks like you had a blast.

crazyQstitcher said...

Both works by yourself and Sylvia are so artistic. You are both so very talented and I too am so pleased I have you bookmarked.

I am wondering how you have eachmanaged to get a realistic sheen and 3D effect of the earth part of the island. Just fabulous!

Joy said...

Absolutely gorgeous!!

That looks like something I would love to try. Any suggestions of info. sites on the net?

sewnut said...

That looks so wonderful and like such a satisfying project.

Faye said...

Hey Rose Anne, your thread sketching is fantastic, love it... would have been a great workshop.
cheers - FDS

Barbara Gordon said...

I like the one with the three trees to. I've never done the self coloring/painting in the background either. Great look and idea. I use already made designs to. I'm not as clever as you are....!