Sunday, January 11, 2009

Tools n Results

WELLLL let me tell you I'm learning slowly but surely!!! Yes many of my friends have mentioned about these "minor" accessories and noted how they make the end results so much easier, but I'm not one to JUMP to the PUMP so to speak. And this pertains to all hobbies, great and small!!!

Well lately I did pick up this cute little tray finally when I've had trouble using my smaller plastic containers and paper funnels while beading my projects. And of course after I've seen a spiffy demo by experienced stitchers at Kathryn's Stitching Studio. Yep a definite necessary tool in the beading bag!!!

Then the other day I was at Michaels with my 40% off coupon and would you believe it there was nothing there (not already on sale) that I WANTED to use it on. Then I was in the beading section thinking I'd find something there and VOILA, I spotted another of the necessary tools shown to me earlier. So I picked up the Beadalon Bead Mats (2 in the package) and zipped home to try it out compared to the quilt batting that I was using. WELLLLLL it made a big difference and for the under $5 price it's a definite must in any beaded case or for gift giving, that is for sure.

So yes I must say that my long session of beading last night was so much easier without spilled beads and also just about instant bead pick up and return to their container than I've had in ages!!! Yes I thoroughly enjoyed my stitching last night and wish I'd picked up these inexpensive items earlier on. LOL!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

My best friend has a couple of those. I just put flannel inside a shallow lid and use that to keep the beads from rolling around. The tins from Altoids work well, too.

Marty S said...

Aren't those little triangle trays neat? What did we do without them?

I use a beading mat, too, and I love it. Mine is on a tray that is about 9" x 12". Finally I trimmed the beading mat so it sits just inside the ledge of the tray. Then I used masking tape donuts to secure it to the tray. After using the mat for a while, I had a brainstorm. The beading mat is a piece of a velux blanket. My kids took velux blankets to college, but they had to have extra-long blankets. That meant they were a nuisance to tuck into a regular sized twin bed. So I trimmed off the end of one blanket so it was regular twin-sized. Voila! Instant extra bead mats! And a blanket that fits the bed better.
Marty S
Crackpot Beader

p.s. I love your crazy quilting.