Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Update

Okay, I've not gotten much sewing accomplished but have worked on various items. I did finish off a new postcard for the "Back to School" competition in one of my postcard groups and really like my results. Sorry I can't upload a picture till after Sept. 7th and the Viewers Choice is announced. Also I've stitched up more of my selvedges into postcards and doing my hand embroidery seam finishes on them for thank you gifts. Yes I have my postcard swaps to work on too but they are taking longer than I anticipated to pull off - guess sometimes my "ideas" get the best of me!!!

But my co-worker again brought in more beet leaves and also told me how they make their dish so I tried it this time around. You know that saying "this is better than . . . . " LOL! And much better than the previous batch I did!!!

These beet buns were baked first and then a mixture of heated whipping cream, butter, fried onions and garlic poured over and warmed through before serving and are soooooo close to my Mom's I could just bawl!!! I don't care if it adds pounds etc to my body I enjoyed this bowl and then will freeze in decent portions the remainder and doll them out gingerly!!!

So basically I let the dough rise first as per instructions (I used frozen again), knead down lightly, grease baking dish, rinse and dry beet leaves (remove fatter brittle parts of stems). Then break off small bits of dough (large olive amounts) and wrap leaves loosely around dough (I did right side out) and set into pan allowing breathing space around. Once all wrapped cover with towel and let rise half hour or so. Bake until golden brown and enjoy either with sour cream or with the awesome heated up cream mixture!!!

Just heat whipping cream to take the chill out, saute diced onions and garlic powder in margarine and add to cream and pour over baked buns and heat through before serving.

Now don't use a spring pan like I did or you'll have a mess to clean up too!!! But even this slip up was worth it!!!

2 comments:

Joy said...

Rose Anne,
Can you explain what you mean by "sewing your selvages into postcards" ???

Or maybe post a photo.

Susan said...

Love those selvedge postcards. Might be better than using them as hair ties, which I often do. =)