Wednesday, July 09, 2008

Through My Window Projects

Thank you Jo of NZ for your kind words and hope you're checking back for your answer as I've decided to post it here in case others are wondering the same about this technique. I was gifted a pattern "Through My Window" by Patchworks Studio along with the eagles fabric and along with my sister's help I managed to do it up but the instructions were either not complete or not clear for me to follow.



So my sister walked me through as follows:
1. cut a piece of Steam a Seam 2 Lite or whatever you use that is double sided fusible the size you want for your finished picture or postcard size
2. draw or trace your wrought iron window or gate shape ensuring you have joins everywhere or you'll loose pieces when cutting out see through spaces (mark these with an X to be safe)
3. cut a piece of black or whatever colour you want for the front framework and remove the back side of the drawn S-a-S and adhere to the wrong side of fabric
4. then watch carefully as you cut out the see through spaces of the front fabric and position over your panel or backing fabric until you decide on your window view
5. then carefully remove the paper backing and place over your background and iron to adhere in place and trim off excess backing
6. for postcards: use either a straight stitch or a satin stitch to anchor the edges down - depending on the finished look you are wanting - then finish off postcards as you wish
7. for a wall hanging: before Step 6, I would stitch on the borders (see above eagles) and sandwich to batting and backing slightly larger than front, then do Step 6 as a "quilt as you go" through all
8. attach label, hanging sleeve and bind.



3 comments:

Jo in NZ said...

Thanks Rose Anne

Linda Mullen said...

I saw these in person and they are just beautiful.

Myra said...

Thanks a bunch there Rose Anne! I am thinking to try this out one day... once I am caught up on a bunch of my UFOs.... a never ending story... 8-)
Happy stitchings!