Sunday, October 22, 2006

Colourwash Quilt Update

Well I've just finished stitching together that block I started at my sister's. So I still have two 21" centre blocks to plan out and stitch along with 11 side and 3 corner blocks, then all the hand applique (yep that's how I'm doing mine) of the nine flowered centre blocks. We haven't decided as yet how we are going to quilt this baby but I'm sure Sylvia will figure something out and pass it onto me. We both know that with all the applique blocks (she's doing her's by machine) there is no way it can be machine quilted on the frame.

I know I mentioned working on these blocks before so I thought I should maybe pass on the info from where we've gotten our inspiration for this quilt.

My sister first saw it in the magazine "Quilt Works Today" August/September 2003 stitched by Sharlene Jackson of the pattern by Rose Hahn found in http://www.needles-n-pins.com/hahn.htm but neither of us cared for the presentation of the flower blocks and also not all the light colourwash squares. So Sylvia redrafted the colourwash and we've found various flower images from other books (I grow orchids and she's a painter) and adapted them for a nondirectional layout. This way the quilt can be placed on the bed anyway - no definite top.

We both have lots of extra 2.5" squares for the colourwash and plan to make pillow scarves for the beds - I'm not into pillow shams that is for sure! Heck I don't even make my bed upon waking - why when you just crawl back into it at night! LOL!

I teasingly said this quilt may never get finished in my lifetime and Sylvia said she'll keep pestering or challenging me to work on it every so often. Well I phoned her tonight to chat and she'd just finished stitching up the two blocks she had planned out while I was there - SHOOT! So that's what got me up and atem tonight and finishing my half together block. She even suggested more vacation time out at their place and thus working on it more often than I do at home. LOL! Will see!

No comments: