Saturday, October 31, 2009

More Tatting!

Okay with various projects on the go, company down for a few days and then a quilting retreat along with the ASL project to complete my evenings have been occupied and my tatting etc has taken a back seat. Well last night I finally felt up to (head cold) trying some tatting and I can tell you not successfully!

Okay I finished off the Tatters' Round Robin for Beginners (assuming by Georgia Seitz) but there is something wrong in the large loops - will have to try another to see if I can figure it out.



Then did the GR-8 Butterfly by Gary and Randy Houtz and I can tell you that my first attempt was a total disaster because what I read I did not understand but went ahead and did what I thought it was - MISTAKE!!! The second attempt turned out great!



And just because I did the Butterfly Tatted with Chains by Riet Surtel-Smeulders and I used two shuttles which turned out okay the first time.



And to finish off Lesson #3 practice pieces I TRIED the German Snowflake by Cristel Wutzmer and I can tell you I hated this cutting and joining with every point so I only did the one point which is not right for some reason and won't be trying it again.



In the NSAN group (tatting online) we are doing 5 weeks of lessons and this is my second time around and I've still not finished with the group. I guess I'll be joining them again in December for Lesson #4 and #5 as I did not get much out of the chatting since I did not do the reading or lesson work ahead of time. Lesson #5 is tatting with beads and I can't wait to experiment with that as I've a snowflake pattern for this and really do want to do it! Oh well I have like a month to catch up!!! I still have LOTS of trouble reading patterns though - most leave out things they assume you know goes with certain steps - not fair for beginners.

OHHH and one of our male tatters said "that you can add various types of lace work - he adds in bobbin lace - to your tatted pieces and it's a perfect marriage of needlework"!!! Just a tidbit if you did not know this already.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

I especially like the motif in the top photo! Very nice!

Lace-lovin' Librarian ~ Diane said...

I really like your first motif, and it's in such a pretty shade of blue! Congrats on making the Shuttle Brothers butterfly... I haven't mastered that one yet. I understand what you mean about thinking the directions were wrong. It seems like sometimes we just have to follow the directions blindly, and then the lightbulb suddenly goes on!

Rosyquilter said...

Rose Anne - as far as layout goes, first... between horizontal and vertical, do you know where it will hang? That would be the first decision. I like the offset one but, it would need something in the gold as far as quilting or ??? to balance it out. But, decide first where it will hang so you can eliminate the choice between vertical or horizontal.

Anonymous said...

You are doing very nicely. Beautiful work! I'm just at the beginning, haven't fully acquired the knack of using the shuttle, but I've been needle tatting ok. I can't wait to make motifs! You're an inspiration!!

Rose Anne B said...

Well thank you Anonymous for your kind comments and yes practice and you'll soon be tatting motifs too. It's been a long road of perserverence but I'm getting there.

Maybe next time after your message please add your first name. Thank you.