Monday, October 19, 2009

Checkup Time!

Okay, I had “good news” and some “not so good news” today from my Dr. after getting my checkup test results back.

First off my changed high blood pressure meds results look very good – lowest rate in years plus this medication is a “helper” in diabetes control, which is prevalent in our family. Also my good and bad cholesterol is very slightly elevated but of no consequence at this time.

Now some 20 years ago I underwent the 8 hour fasting glucose test (YUCK!!!!) and was diagnosed back then as hyperglycemic - basically ignored it. Then a few years ago my Dr. mentioned I was heading towards borderline diabetic and to watch my weight – I didn’t – my sister said there wasn’t such a thing, either you have it or you don’t. Well after checking with the Canadian Diabetes Association it also agrees with my Dr. on
prediabetes – there is such a thing and it’s a “warning” to change your lifestyle before it gets worse and some may develop diabetes needing meds to control it and other not at all. Yeah I know, I’ve been warned by co-workers and my sister many times, but I guess I’m more like my Mom than I thought I was – I just did the minimum and kept a blind eye to it happening to me and thinking it was way down the road yet.

Anyways, I got the warning today, that I have to take heed now and divert or delay the onslaught of Type 2 diabetes within me. So no more Pepsi for sure (which is gonna KILL me before diabetes does) and cut out the fast food stuff, dang that is gonna be a trial for sure. Hmmmm you think I can get "testy" now, wait till I'm in junk food withdrawal!!! Now I love to cook, but hate to take the time away from my hobbies or my computer to do such so eat on the run, even if it is on a periodic basis and frozen for future meals. Oh well, guess I’ve no choice now or deal with the consequences.

2 comments:

Linda Mullen said...

With the quantity of sweets I eat, I'm probably headed for diabetes too, so the more I try and slow down, the more I want the stuff... hmmmm...

Hope you get thru the cooling off period (getting used to not eating that stuff).

To look on the bright side, at least you don't have diabetes yet and yes you can do something about it now.

Judy said...

Take care of yourself!!!! The world would be a poorer place without you!!!!