Wednesday, May 13, 2009

A New Language for ME???

What a day!!! It started off getting soaked to the skin walking to work in the pouring cold rain, a 9:30 Branch meeting and carried through just about to 11:00 when our 3-hr ASL (American Sign Language) training session starts (so we can communicate better with John our deaf co-worker). It was a rush to replenish the coffee and bathroom break plus wolf down half my sandwich before heading back into the meeting room.





Well we started off with the “interpreters” for the introductions then they LEFT accompanied by my gasps and it was “zip the mouth” and no talking for three hours unless on the one break, but there was a bit of it near the end when we were rehashing things – brain dead by then!!! THAT was CRUEL to me, but I survived, even though my heart was a racing and a couple of times I think I was on the brink of hyperventilating but took a few deep breaths and settled down. Sylvia, our teacher who is deaf, did promise us that we would learn and by golly she was right, we learnt lots, have sign spelling for homework and we have the Post It notes of words up in our office for rehashing sessions with John as our “work teacher”. I can tell you that by the last half hour, that my brain was fried and I could not remember the “symbols” for certain words that she taught us. DUH! I sure hope I don’t forget it all. I KNOW I don’t want to sign spell my requests out - easier with symbols for words or phrases!!!

Okay so we were back just after 2:00 and I wolfed down the other half of my sandwich and then back to work.



Then on the way home I again got soaked to the skin in the pouring cold rain, but it eased up some before going out to my evening meeting, but DANG chilly!!!



It's been forecast to snow just to the northeast of us and towards my sister Kenora ON way!!!

2 comments:

Judy said...

I hope you don't catch your death, getting soaked through twice in one day!!

Good news on my personal Wpg front! She has sent a couple of e-mails (used to be a year's supply!), and even phoned for Mothers Day!! She sounds happy, and that is a big thing to me!!

Anonymous said...

I watch your blog, the ASL symbols caught my eye. My daughter who is 16 is taking a extensive course in ASL. She goes to class and comes home and teaches me everything she learned, She has homework each week, I do the homework also at home for myself. We absolutely LOVE learning ASL. It is a great language, My daughter has been doing it for 10 weeks and we can talk to each other and those who are deaf. Of course it is considered baby talk when you first learn. It is interesting how simplified the ASL language is and how complicated it makes English seem. That is really cool your work would do so much for a work mate. I say KUDO'S to you for taking the time to learn and to your work for showing personal care for someone of another language. And your right the phrases are so much better and easier then sign spelling, it has amazed us how little our Deaf friends do not use finger spelling except for names, they even told us they find it more difficult for them to get what we are saying when we finger spell verses sign. So we sign only now:) Fantastic job Rose Anne!