Sunday, October 02, 2011

Cathy's Sew It Up DYOB

Well instead of fighting with the TV to find either baseball or hockey, I sat down and finished the embellishing on Cathy's blocks (one completed by me and another joint block that the five of us all work on).  Don't panic these are only 6 inch blocks but let me tell you they take ages for me to complete - guess I'm to picky!!!

Anyways here is the joint block the centre part up to the top right corner was embellished by Lorrie.  My part were the lower two right patches and the rusty coloured seam treatment just above.  I used the six strands of floss to match the printed pins on the black fabric and then stitched in place larger beads for the heads.  Then I found matching floss but only used 3-strands and recovered the thread spools.  While at the Class on the Grass event my friend thought that seam should be left as is - glad for that advice as I was in a delimma once again.  LOL!



I chose the neutral block with the antique sewing machine for my own embellishments as the others had more "pink" in them and I needed a rest from that colour for a bit!  LOL!


That sewing machine in the top corner I overstitched the designs with white metallic DMC and also regular rust floss on the thread spool.  Then I knew I was tatting a trim and selected muted varigated blues for the delicate edging.  I repeated the pins and thread spools embellishments on this block too.  Amongst my sewing stash was this tape measure bow so I anchored it in place with a thimble button and found a half spool button but cut off the shank and covered the spool with floss and anchored in place.  Using the same floss I overstitched the running stitches on the two scissor patches and stitched gold scissors in place.  I then found the exact size and colour buttons and sewed them in place and a plastic thimble charm for the other corner.  Then I again used the Raised Fishbone stitch from Kerry's CQI BAS program and made a threader that just finished threading the silver metallic needle.  The seam finishes were herringbone, feather, daisy, zig zag chain, cretan and the up and down blanket stitchs with Colonial knots.

Upper left corner

Upper right corner
Lower right corner
Lower left corner
centre


Like I mentioned in Cathy's booklet, this seems to be simplistic like embellishments and I hope she likes it as much as I enjoyed doing it.  Now to wait for the next set of blocks.  And I'm early - mailout deadline is Oct. 15th - WOW!!!

2 comments:

Ruby said...

You set a high bar for the rest of us!! Great work. I love each and every detail.

Cathy said...

Thanks, RA! I do love it. - Cathy L