Saturday, February 13, 2010

2010 Olympics

I too have my own “kickoff” - my souvenir Olympic Coke bottle with changing light - it's on and in my window!!! This was from my viewing of the Olympic torch when it arrived here in Winnipeg on it’s cross Canada relay. I’ll try to remember to turn it on each evening while the games are on.

Okay I am sick and tired of all these "artists" putting their own slant on the anthem - WHAT - are they not proud enough of our song as it is – that they have to twist it this way and that! I find it disgusting period! And of all places to do it too – when the whole world is watching!!! It was bad enough starting off with the news telecast of the hot tub and bar activities! Yes such does happen, but do you have to flaunt it? I guess I'm just getting tooooooo old. And guess what, I’m not alone on some of these thoughts either!

“I don't think it would have been just her.......the producer or director would have had some input. Why do they have to turn our National anthem into an Americanized version?”  quote by my Canadian friend

“I agree. I don't like the "Hollywoodization" for national anthems. They should sing them as they were written. At least your Canadian national anthem is "singable." The range for ours is terrible. It is very difficult for most people to sing.”  quote by my USA friend

OMGG I'm in tears watching this AWESOME presentation of the First Nations People!!! That was just beautiful, even if I don't know much about their cultures. WOW!!! AND I LOVE seeing the smiling athletes entering the arena!!!! Ahhhh Canada has 206 athletes this year!!! I hope they all do themselves, us and Canada PROUD!!!! Ohhhh gosh a blubbering idiot and I'm glad I'm not Clara Hughes or I'd be just a bawling my eyes out with all the emotional feelings during this ceremony and probably trip over my own feet too!!! Hey, I just realized that the First Nations are still all there dancing while the athletes march in!!! WOW they are getting a workout!!!

OHHHHHH OHHHHH OHHHH that is just awesome how they are doing the Aurora Borealis  light show!!! WOW!!! OH MY!!!!!!!!!!!!! That inflatable puppet bear is LARGE - I'm speachless!!! OHHHHH MYYYYY this has even scary parts too!!! How the HECK are they doing this?????

I just realized something, we may not be China with mega dollars for a spectacular show, but boy oh boy Canada is doing it's own distinctive ceremony I think. And like the announcers said “without the volunteers, this would not be possible” – so my hat goes off to all of them. THANK YOU!!!

Okay I love the music and dance of the fiddlers and tappers, but I'm not at all thrilled with the tattoos or their get ups! Oh well it would be boring if we were all alike.

Now this segment of the “girl in the prairie winds” is something else!!! I wonder how many in the crowd (like me) are clutching their tummies with all this twirling and flying above the moving prairies scenes! But whomever that is up there, it looks like they are having fun! I love the scenic images that is for sure and the movement too - it truly portrays the wind on the prairies. How the HECK are they doing all this (yes I know there is a harness but you still have to perform and it's not Hollywood)??? I'm just in AWE!!! And I think the crowd was too from the looks of the panning cameras!!!

Okay, this may not be Bejing but it definitely is CANADA!!!!! My stomach can barely tolerate all those flashing lights from the crowd but Ohhhh what dramatics! That rising mountain and all the athletes traversing downwards is phenomenal!!! The choreography is spectacular!

That sure is some STAGE that all these flags etc rise from and fall and disappear into without incident!!! I can imagine how many engineering headaches these stage changes created but so far so GREAT!!!

“TRUE NORTH STRONG & FREE!!! WE ARE MORE!!!”  quote by my Canadian friend

Hey one of the flag bearers is Barbara Ann Scott - that is who my Mom wanted to name me after, but Dad did not like the Ukrainian translation, so I became Rose Anne!!! And Anne Murray too!!!!

OH OH, now I spoke to soon - the hydraulics have a glitch! OH NO and Catrinna can’t participate in lighting the cauldron!!! That’s too bad! But WOW that was some ceremony. Then Wayne Gretzky is taking the torch outside to the waterfront - I'm not sure if I would have liked to be Wayne on that ride in the rain, some of those citizens lining the way seemed a might toooooo enthusiastic. But yes it was something! A great start to the Olympic games! Now it’s up to all the athletes of the world to do their best!

Go Canada Go!!!

No comments: