Monday, February 23, 2009

A CLOSE CALL!!!

Taken May 25th, 1989 - celebrating 50 years of marriage.

Now I know MOM is our Guardian Angel and we all promised her we'd look after DAD and we are trying to. Last week he had asked Florence for some help and she did all he asked and he was his usual self and in a good mood. I had called him Saturday after supper and he was watching his hockey and chatted a bit but sounded a bit husky voiced - I didn't ask which was stupid of me - but thought he'd had a coughing spell of clearing his throat. DUH!!!

Well mid afternoon today he called Florence at work (very unusual) and asked to go to the hospital and she left immediately. She agreed he had to go as he did not look good or sound his usual self and needed her assistance to get to the car. Upon arrival at Emerg they checked him out, quickly hooked him up to IVs, gave him two needles, popped an aspirin into him and added an oxygen mask too. Apparently he has pneumonia, but no fever at all, but he's also had a heart attack which sometimes happens with pneumonia because of the weakened organs. So he's in the hospital overnight at least, as the Dr was not letting him go home as he lives alone and also did not think there was need to call the family. He thought for 95 Dad was doing very well considering.

SHEESH, needless to say I've had a bit of a start and knowing his stamina he'll fight this and be home before the weekend. He definitely did not want Florence telling us at all but I'm glad she did. And I know that he is doing good as Florence was a little shaky but not "upset" like when something is very serious, which helped me hold it together and not panic!!! She'll definitely call if anything changes and if not I'll call and check again tomorrow evening. I pray that he still has the strength and where withall to fight this and have a few more years with us all.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Rose Anne, so sorry to hear of your dads sickness. Take good care of him, love him, and take good care of yourself. I will keep you both in my prayers..Debbie (Maine)