Monday, February 08, 2010

Gimli Retreat Getaway

Okay my weekend started Thursday morning with my sister Sylvia's arrival and then zipping around Winnipeg picking up or checking out various items on her list finishing off with supper at my niece Pat's before heading home and finishing my packing for the quilt retreat!  Friday morning I was packed up by 8:00 am and headed to my niece's to switch to the van then we headed out to Michael's before travelling to Gimli (maybe 1.5 hours from Winnipeg). 

Then we stopped into my sister's SIL and BIL for a cup of tea and a brief stop at the unique Dollar Store in Selkirk.  Then onto Winnipeg Beach to check out Keepers Quilts where I picked up some awesome northern lights fabric by Timless Treasure Fabrics Inc. (now I don't have to make my own up paperpiecing!!!).  Now we're off to the retreat and check in!!!

Well when we got there it was packed and space was very limited but Pat's friend had already garnered our sewing stations together after some rejuggling.  See some 80 quilters had arrived Thursday and had a table to themselves and some did not want to double up and share (as required) to make room for the 138 in total that were booked for the weekend.  Tracy did an awesome job and I think all were finally settled into sewing.

Anyways, I had taken my Faces DYB blocks all basted together so none got lost or dropped and the faces broken (Heaven forbid) along with Rita's blue blocks too.  WELL I was just inside the doorway in our room and talk about a show stopper they were.  Most of the quilters are amazing with their talents but they were all FLOORED with the Faces DYBs and especially with Gerry's Star Goddess and Leslie's Goddess of Light blocks.  Then they wondered why the 6th block was blank so I had to explain the process (they were appalled that we actually sent these in the mail sometimes around the world) and then they all looked at my idea for it and were shocked that I would try it.
I had to laugh as they kept coming back to see if I had finished Mother Earth yet and would have it for show n tell Sunday!!!  YEAH RIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Guess I'll have to bring it back next year finished for them to all see what can be done when creativity is unleashed - eh girls!!!

They also just LOVED the blue blocks and the delicate embroidery on the two finished blocks and also my embroidery emerging but most said it seems to slow a process for them to attempt.  See some stitched up whole quilt tops and onto another project within the three days and me - well I worked on 7 of my 9X12 inch blocks for my quilt (moondance which is like from 2004) and also worked on two seams on Rita's block.  I felt that I was not really producing and actually that was the busiest quilting weekend I've ever had - most times I've spent cutting out or hand work which takes forever. LOL!

Well Saturday evening we had some table and door prizes awarded.  The table Party Dress pattern by Heather Lair was won by Sylvia's friend Dale who now resides in Winnipeg and she was thrilled.  AND I won the second door prize and included is a one-night stay at the Lakeview Resort along with two totes and a book Cookies n Quilts by Judy Martin.  I think I'll be using that certificate to celebrate my birthday this year - great idea me thinks!!!
There will be another post including some quilt pictures but that'll take some time and I thought I'll just post this one separately.

1 comment:

Linda Mullen said...

wow, good for you. :)