Wednesday, February 04, 2009

Cans Recycled!!!

Okay, some of my online friends wanted to see what I've done with coffee cans (after another quilter showed her coffee can stepstools) and it took me about an hour of searching and I finally came across a selection of pictures but not exactly the ones I was looking for. Now I've used not only the large coffee cans, but the medium ones, peanut cans, coffeemate and hot chocolate containers but also spaghetti sauce and juice cans too. Now I don't have pictures of the juice cans made into drums decorated with tartan ribbons and round toothpics with a seed bead on the ends to show you but they were not a hit so I stopped making them.

Okay here are the pics:


First off I made this "Cheeky Elf" which I proudly have him displayed on my wall unit all year round. His hat comes off and the plastic lid is removable to store goodies inside. I've one at the office too.


Then came my 4 large can Snowman: top left was my first one according to the instructions except made out of those brown paper mache boxes which I changed to the cans. His hat was the plastic black tophat for St. Patricks day which I too fast changed to my own made to fit felt hats and varied brims with trims. Then the last picture is what I changed them to the last time I made them but I also made Jr. of medium coffee cans for my friend and he's cute with one of those long pointed hats. And some day will make baby sister with a peanut can and bunting bag on a sled for her as she has been begging me for two years now for the new family addition!!!


Then I tried making an angel of the coffee can but she's just too fat and her lid is on the bottom!!! I'm not sure but the snowmen I think are from the peanut cans and also the hat removable and items can be stored inside.


And these Penquins were a lot of fun to make - the bottom ones were my first and the top more recent and I think slightly better paint jobs. These were from various cardboard coffeemate/hot chocolate containers or from the medium coffee or sauce tins and also the white crumpled grocery bags can be lifted and plastic bagged candies can be stored inside or as a gift holding container too. I've a couple that are at the office for the front counter at Christmas along with my first Snowman and Elf.


And last but not least are these huge pinecones that a truck driver brought me from out west somewhere and on a nice day went outside, put them into a box and sprayed them with insecticide then made sure they aired out the rest of the day. Then dressed them up as you can see with some on brass candle holders and some just on painted wooden heart bases. These were a sure hit with office staff.

4 comments:

kerrykatiecakes2 said...

You have been busy, Rose Anne! I started saving coffee cans again at Christmas when I saw an outside display made of the cans made into a Christmas tree with lights. lol - hard to describe but if I get mine made I'll post a pic.
Hugs,
Kerry

Judy said...

"pained wooden hearts"??? you need a proof-reader, my dear!!
and what is wrong with the juice cans made into drums?? i have my feet on one right now, so the cat does not slide out of my lap - if you leave the toothpicks off, they are great for 4 year olds rearranging the furniture - granted, they are not in the living room...

Rose Anne B said...

Sorry to give you the wrong idea Kerry, these were made over I'd say the last 15-20 years.

And yes I need a proofer or not be in such a hurry!!!

Joy said...

Rose Anne you really are a creative soul. I have to say that I love the snowmen the best. Thanks for sharing your talents.
Joy