Thursday, August 17, 2023

Catchup - Aug 12th-17th

Aug 13th

I took Sylvia last year and we both liked it very much.  Might go again, will see!


Yesterday I picked up Sylvia and Pat to venture over for traditional Ukrainian dinner and the early show at the Spirit of Ukraine Pavillion. But came home to draft up a quilt idea and forgot to post last night.

Winnipeg's Zoloto Ukrainian dancers.

Boots and Mischief - December 7th - St. Catherine's Day.

Snihovyk - Snowman - December 17th - St Barbara's Day.

Turnd to a tug a war.

Turned into a snowball fight.

Ending with a Snowman. 

This and following are of the Hopak, recognized as the "National Dance of Ukraine".

Ladies spinning.

Sylvia and Pat.





WOW!!!


Male spinning two females.

Us with two performers or Ambassadors

Love this display!

Yes I'm feeling lots better, still occasional lingering cough.

So I've many HSTs Leaders n Enders that I want to use sooner than later, but not just sewing them all together. So scrolling FB groups I saw this lady's version of "Salt and Pepper" by Villa Rosa Designs and got going drawing up my own quilt ideas. Naturally I'll add two borders to frame them. Just need to figure out my four sewn together scrappy mini HSTs.


I'm not sure what colour larger HSTs and borders I'll use for my own mini quilt.

For a NICU one, medium blue and mint green larger HSTs and borders.

This afternoon I picked up Edna for some quick errands and finished off with Burgundy Cherry cones at Sargent Sundae. Now I'm feet up and going to enjoy an evening of stitching! See I've a "Japanese" themed postcard to make and decided on my plans. The centre patterns are - on left the cypress fence and on right the circular 'Bishamon' patterns from this book, my Sashiko go too! So will post as this emerges!


Aug 14th

Sharing a Radler after my mega laundromat bedding refresh. Gotta do that more often instead of 3 loads and taking pillows to Sylvia 2 at a time. Laundry World on Portage Ave.


Well while sick I scanned FB and saw some items I liked so ordered. I remembered telling Sylvia that being sick and staying home was gonna be suicidal for my credit card, especially since I just had 3 weeks in Europe. But one of my orders has arrived and I like them, just wish the one had a bit more detail on it. Oh well I'll still enjoy working with them when tatting my projects.



Looks cool!!!


Okay the other day I finished off the Sashiko stitching and kinda wish I'd used a different colour of thread, but I still like it.

Then today while at the laundromat, I cut out various 7/8" hexies and tonight have them ready for the planned project.

The next update will be the front and/or finished postcard, I'm cutting it close but health didn't allow for sewing projects past few weeks.



Aug 15th

OMGG!!! This downtown construction is totally ridiculous! It took ages to get one block from my apartment and then the same to go another block and cross Broadway at Hargrave. AND only ONE legal way to get home and that's from south Osborne and turn onto Assiniboine. You should see all that are doing the no-no's because they are fed up with the traffic jams.  

Anyways, when I finally got out I picked up Pat, Edna, then Sylvia and headed out to #90 and the Japanese Pavillion. All I can say is thank you to the parking attendant who saw Sylvia's walker and gave me a reserved spot close to the door. It was pretty full and once I found seats, Edna and Sylvia sat down while Pat and I got into the food line for our supper. Hmmm, doors opened 6pm, show started 6:45pm and by 7pm they were OUT OF RICE!!!!! You gotta be kidding!!! This was the first performance and out of the main ingredient? We had the teriyaki chicken by itself and spicy crackers. The drummers were excellent, judo performance was so so, but that was basically it for entertainment. That was very disappointing. NOT AT ALL of what I remember the Japanese Pavillion to be when it was in the Japanese Cultural Association on McPhillips near Notre Dame and later in a north end school auditorium, years ago!!!

Then we tried McDs for ice cream to settle my spice tingling tongue and their machine was broken, well we finally found one. YUMMY!!!

Kinda a bummer of a night but like Sylvia said, we got out for the evening! 👌



Aug 16th

Last year after the Churchill trip I started a coin collection for some fun money. Periodically I'd count and roll it up. Well last night I checked and there was lots to roll up and collected $38 in nickles, dimes and excess quarters from my wallet. Also Edna had given me her pennies stash to roll up and that amounted to $7.50 - which today I cashed in for us!  

This jar sits on my table and whenever my wallet seems heavy I empty the excess, but not loonies or twoonies or 4 quarters.


Aug 117th

My PFA swap postcard front is complete. Now to work on the back and assemble it. I really like how it turned out!


Guess I'm getting my MOJO back as I've finished my laundry along with the promised PFASwap postcard "All things Japanese", will go into the mail tomorrow. So it has Sashiko stitching with Olympus #71 variegated Autumn Leaf, left is cypress fence and right is circular 'Bishamon" patterns from Susan Briscoe's book "The Ultimate Sashiko Sourcebook", my go to. Then using various Japanese fabrics I cut out, row stitched together 7/8" hexagons and appliqued them onto the background. This was quite the learning curve as I thought I had the correct info on the computer generated label then noticed my greeting error, first time fixed with steam a seam and applique. Then I thought I had the right sized hexies to fit into the 4x6" postcard with room for the finishing satin stitched edging. Well not quite! Maybe I should have worked evenly from the embroidery outwards? Who knows!  

Left is cypress fence and right is circular "Bishamon" Sashiko patterns.


BUT I truly love this one and the matching green satin stitch. Hope it is liked once received, sooner than later and safely!!! 💞

Monika spearheaded the fabric postcard drive in Saskatchewan with a local museum/library with monies donated for these to the Ukraine project.

Very talented and now I can get some of her cards locally for my collection!



Oooohhhh am I sick again??? See I made myself supper, green beans from the "Tolton's garden". YUMMY!!! I didn't think it would be taken as a restaurant.   My friends the Tolton's gave me some of their garden produce.


No comments: