Thursday, October 11, 2007

Beet Buns - Query Answered

Oh Oh how can you tell I've never made these - just eaten them!!!!! Okay let's see if I can unmuddle myself.

You take either prepared or frozen/thawed bread dough and pinch off little bun sized pieces. Take a washed/dried beet leaf and wrap it loosely around the small amount of dough and arrange in your baking dish. Set this aside and let rise - like when making bread (don't ask me how long as I've never made bread either - LOL!). I've been told like double the size???? Then bake until lightly browned.

Now we've (large family back then) always eaten them fresh right away with the cream sauce but because they are a fall item my sisters make various containers of them and then freeze them until they want a meal again. Then these are thawed, either used whole or cut into pieces (leave the beet leaves on - think cabbage rolls idea) and add to cream sauce and enjoy!

There does that explain the process better? I sure hope so!

Now they are a side dish for your main meal - a replacement for the potatoes dish and much more yummier. LOL! Course more calories too.

No comments: