Tuesday, January 05, 2010

Olympic Torch Viewing

OKAY I just got home from the Olympic Torch viewing at the Forks as the second period started (around 8:00 pm) - 2/2 tie then! So I missed the first period and the first intermission yaya!  Oh well.

Well when I got home from work, I got warmly dressed in my ski knee socks, long sleeved top, ski pants and my door prize winning hoodie (men's large) and then my lighter baggy parka and scarf and boots!!! When I got to the Forks there was lots of hoopla going on but I thought I'd better eat first before I pass out from the truck fumes and excitement. So I had two slices of pizza and WATER - can you believe it no Pepsi!!! Then I went outside and stayed out there till my toes were so cold I was not sure if I could walk home - missed the fireworks.  

The Forks


The Big Screen


The crowd

I can tell you that the entertainment was very envigorating and I found myself smiling a lot and even half assed dancing too the music. I even met up with Brent and Bob and got pics with the torch with them and also myself so as soon as I can I'll go to the website and download the pics with the card we were given. I did get some pics with my camera and also Brent's so might have those sooner to upload. I toured the trailer with past torches and I think I really like the older ones the bestest - more or less resemble the historic Olympians I think. Then the other one I liked was the red one from the Calgary games. I also wrote a message on the athletes' wall and on my way home could have kicked myself as I could have drawn a crazy patched heart and signed that!!! DUH!!! I sure don't think of these things fast enough.

COKE musicians

AWESOME!!!

By Winnipeg artist

Flame twirlers

WOW!

Polar Bear swim race

Spinning canvas artist

Finished canvas

And throughout the two hours till the torch arrived various volunteers where handing out RBC tambourines which I shook to keep warm (maybe not quite in tune but oh well), Olympic souvenir COKE bottle (not sure if I should empty it of just leave it sealed), Olympic/COKE flag, Olympic flashing star for my jacket, and last that I received is another COKE plastic bottle that has a continuous changing light inside it (that's in my window for tonight then I'll switch it off and put it on again during the Olympics in the evenings).

The last time I was myself in Alberta, Susan's girls showed me how to take a pic of myself and that's what I did tonight but as yet haven't seen what I have. I'm waiting for me and the camera to warm up before playing with uploads. Soon.

A might chilly yes!

The TORCH & I

It's coming!

WOW, I got it!

A might skittish!

There were fire pits intermittently but actually until closer to 7:00 pm I found it just LOVELY outside except for my toes. I wore my work boots instead of my skidoo boots - DUMMY! And also my nose and cheeks are tingling badly but the rest of me is just cool and I've hot mulled cranberry made to enjoy with the rest of my hockey game. I can't bear to take off my ski socks or hoodie as yet! I pray I haven't caught a chill, would be lousy after the wonderful time I had.

Yep considering the LOUSY start to my day and my added stress throughout I was very surprised I thoroughly enjoyed my evening and mostly by myself talking to whomever wanted to talk to me. Even helped some others get souvenirs if they were not close enough and I was. Yep had lots of FUN!!!

2 comments:

Sharon D. said...

Sounds like it was cold but a lot of fun. No Pepsi how could they do that. I alway take mine with me, wouldn't be with out it. I even take it out when I shovel the snow. Have a great day. Hope your toes are warm.

Joy said...

Wow Rose Anne - The Torch Relay comes through my town one month from today. The route comes right through my sub-division and then there is a 2 hour celebration event at City Centre as well.