Tuesday, March 07, 2023

Catchup - Feb 28th-March 4th

Feb 28th

Okay this came up as a memory of a 10 day photo challenge which I didn't think pertinent.

This was my first love, growing orchids, which my apartment was not conducive to it no matter what system etc I tried.  It also was my introduction into quilting with my co-worker friend Shirley Nicholson as my teacher.  See I saw and bought this pattern and had maybe 2-3 months to finish it so I could enter it into the Manitoba Orchid Show, then the Red River Ex, but I knew nothing about needle turn applique!!!  So with Shirley's help and my applique book I started to learn with a pattern of a Robin with a cherry in it's beak on a branch!  I was impatient when the weekend came having to wait for Monday's lesson so I read up on some steps and finished it off.  Monday I was told I really didn't need help on the techniques but there were some easier ways to the same results, those I learnt from Shirley and still learning new techniques.  Needle turn applique is still my pride and joy!!!

My original photo from an old camera.

Just taken today.

My label

It's been a busy day and my hip is telling me to stop already.  I've unpacked my weekend quilting retreat stuff, pulled out my Block-A-Day top and found the borders, binding and backing fabric (will include a strip of block fabrics to fit).  Then set up my Janome on the living room table for the other two quilt top finishing up.  And if that was not enough I cleared up my Brother quilting station, ready for the block mystery sandwich, hopefully finished this week!  And continue with the other ABC sandwiched quilts!!!



Hmmmm just too tired to figure out borders and backing for the quilt after the busy day so I played catchup on my 52 Scrappy Triangles.  Now I'm caught up!










March 1st

Okay I sewed on two borders onto the Block-A-Day but didn't like them.  Visited Sylvia briefly and showed her some pictures and she agreed with me to ditch the borders and just bind it.  So after my appointment I took off the borders and set those strips aside for binding.  Then proceeded to sandwich, spray and pin baste it - gosh that's work by myself!  So much easier when Sylvia and I sandwich our quilts together!!!  Prepped the binding too and wound it on my seldom used walking water bottle!  So tomorrow morning I'll start the quilting and pray all goes well!  Finally I'll have an MPQ ABC quilt to hand in!!!


Today's block, not happy with my centre patch but maybe it'll be okay when all finished etc.
I really loved Kathy playing with layout possibilities!  Awesome!


Hmmm somehow I missed Feb 19th block!
Today's was easy peasy!
And thank you Kathy for the Google suggestion for HST layout quilt ideas.  I also noticed Leila Gardunia has some layouts on her 52 Scrappy Triangles site with some comments too!


I didn't have time to post before running out the door for my appointment and errands.

So I started my simple just off from the seam quilting on my Block-A-Day quilt.  I just about got a quarter finished, maybe would have been more but a few issues at the beginning before things started to go easier!  And by easier I meant managing the 60 inch square quilt sandwich.  THEN I remembered I had them "Jaws", got them out and after that it was much easier!  I need another set and they are now on my gift card quilt purchase suggestions list!

Unmanageable mess!

See the purple Jaws left edge?

Hmmmmm I'm not happy doing the Buttonhole Triangles but after eight practice ones I think I'm ready to tackle the homework in my dimensional embroidery tester class project.  I better be as I've many to finish off and running out of time this week.


March 4th

Well I finished off yesterday's block for 52 scrappy triangles project and sewed up today's too.  

And yesterday I used up my $100 GC to KTR and bought my dark triangles/borders/bindings fabric and if sashed I've picked out the sandy/cream too!




Now Jo Newsham here's some fungi dressed up just for you!!!


After grocery shopping and errands with Edna, meeting Florence for my Ukrainian sauerkraut perogies from Dauphin I then went over to Sylvia's.  We washed our newly bought fabrics so I'll be able to redo my 52 Scrappy Triangles with the dark green half.  Sylvia made supper and then we both stitched, chatted and watch curling together.  Soon home to do more of my embroidery homework and watch hockey!  Thank you Sylvia for the picture!


No comments: