Wednesday, February 15, 2023

Catchup - Feb 3rd-7th

Feb 3rd

First off thank you Kathy for posting this "Year of Scrappy 52 Triangle Foundation" project.  I rushed home to gather my large shopping bag of batik scraps (some donated by Linda to add to my own) as I finished off my set of 24 blocks the other day.  I'll work on these one block a day after I catch up on the first three days of February and in between my various mysteries on the go right now.  But I'll leave the large triangle for whenever I go to OMAs and use my virtual retreat grand prize gift card to get the dark green or blue batik for the triangles and a light batik for the sashing!  I've plans for a lap quilt for myself!

https://www.leilagardunia.com/blog/year-of-scrappy-triangles



I zipped over to Sylvia's to give her the "Calm" instructions, the 52 scrappy triangle foundations for her own project one day, have lunch together at the Southdale Village Family Restaurant and back to her place for a bit of cacti puzzle setting!  Then back to the dogs and plan my "Calm" MPQ Mystery fabrics for cutting alongwith the Block-A-Day Mystery Quilt Along with Melissa Marginet too!  Somewhere I have to read and practice my embroidery class stitches too!!!  YOWSERS!

Feb 4th

OK I think I did the second cuts right using Melissa's instructions plus drawing out my various blocks in two pressing directions.  Time will tell!  😉  Glad I ran home and got my various baggies!!!

Now onto reading instructions for MPQs Calm mystery and then will start sewing the scrappy parts of the daily 52 Scrappy Triangles (which I'm doing daily starting Feb 1st - a bit of catchup).


OK now Day 10 TIAS is complete!  I'm still going with a playful monkey 🐒 or chimpanzee!  We'll be working on the head next.  😉  I had an itzy bitzy idea of a clown maybe holding balloons BUT those fingers/toes say NO!!!


YEAH!  YEAH!  YEAH!

I've finished cutting out the smaller pieces of the MPQ Calm mystery on the right, longer pieces will be recut after measuring when I get to that step.  I've a bit of the black and a good 3/4s metre of the cream left over!

The brights on the left were cut earlier and HSTs sewn then recut waiting for Monday's block drop!!!

I'm relaxing for a bit then do the four batil 52 Scrappy Triangles paper pieced blocks.  Then I'll be caught up on the sewing projects!  Will be enough for today with doing my laundry too!

So I've caught up for my one-a-day paper pieced 52 Scrappy Triangles blocks starting February 1st!  I'm not sure I like my selected colours but I'm using my scraps, not going into my stash!  It may not matter once I decide what I'll use for the larger triangle and borders.  😉



Feb 5th

Today is the 5th, so here's Block 5 of the 52 Scrappy Triangles by Leila Gardunia.  Links in previous posts.


OMGG!!!!   I'm sooooooo bad!  

It's 5 yeearrrs and I still haven't tried sewing on her yet!  Another have to do so and sooner than later!



Ohhhhhh boy practicing my dimensional embroidery before working on my class piece is draining!  At least the "crew" left me alone until I packed up and moved to the couch. 😆  This was a simple task, but it was difficult to keep the two core threads parallel, not twisting and wrap another thread around!  Yeah, right!  Then to try and make the cord thickness even too!  I think if I do couch my class piece down, I'll use thinner thread so it's not so visible.  ƁUT I'm very leary to work on my class piece as that's twice as long and gold thread not perle cotton!!!  YIKES!!!


Okay the crew were out for longer even chasing around before coming in!  NOT Wheels who refused and roamed the yard, chewed brush branches and laid in the snow.  Since it warmed up I let him frolic!



Today is the 6th, so here's Block 6 of the 52 Scrappy Triangles by Leila Gardunia.  I knew I'd revert to some first paper piecing mistakes!!!  So far I like this the best!  Links in previous posts.



Okay Block 1 instructions (actually 2 same blocks but one dark and one light for the small quilt) for the Block-A-Day Mystery Quilt Along with Melissa Marginet are finally complete.  And like my 52 Scrappy Triangles project I again did an incorrect cut and had to redo one for each block!  Then my sewing machine does not like going over the thicker seams, so the red block I pressed open the seams and lots better, so rippit the blue, resewed and pressed open those seams too!  DUH!!!  Just lucky I had extra of these fabrics!  Hope that's it for cutting mistakes!





Feb 7th

Lovely day weather-wise and personally!  I picked up the girls and headed to Polo Park for a walk and lunch.  I was hoping to find a dressier parka but no dice, but Sylvia found a lovely one.  Then we finished the walk and stopped at Fergies for fish and chips - YUMMY!!!  Stopped for a few groceries before dropping Edna off then to my apartment to assist Sylvia to register online some of her quilted items for the upcoming Quilt Reflections Show.  Then took Sylvia home before heading back to the dogs!  I headed outside to watch their shenanigans and playfulness!  Back inside to feed the crew.

Afterwards I practiced the gold braid and don't like that process, but will persevere for the test class project.


Today is the 7th, so here's Block 7 of the 52 Scrappy Triangles by Leila Gardunia.  I knew I'd revert to some first paper piecing mistakes!!!  So far I like this the best!  Links in previous posts.


Here is Day 11 TIAS complete, a small step but she got us to wind lots of thread so it's not close to finishing yet!  We're working on the head and I'm guessing maybe glasses or large rimmed eyeballs to this creature!  😉


After running errands, then outside with the dogs, here's Block 2 (actually 2 same blocks but one dark and one light for the small quilt) for the Block-A-Day Mystery Quilt Along with Melissa Marginet finally complete.  Again I had to redo one for each block!  But this time the sewing up went smoothly!  I like this block!




No comments: