Monday, December 08, 2008

Personal Delimma

Okay, coming into work today was full of stressful apprehension I tell you.

As I mentioned previously, one of my creditors is pushing for a money settlement or threatening repossession of some of my personal possessions, outside my Consumer Proposal that they had accepted. At the time I questioned them as to why they didn't counter the proposal to include this amount and they said it was separate. Well after talking with my Trustee and Financial Advisor who also contacted a Consumer Lawyer, I now have in a letter the legalities of this and have to write my letter to the creditor and hopefully close this delimma.

See they had a chance to counter the proposal - they didn't; the deadline to do so has now passed - so they can't reapply; also they can't accept the proposal plus press for additional settlement - which would be frowned upon by the other creditors and the Trustee's office; plus the items they listed for security did not have serial numbers attached as necessary for repossession purposes. So if they abide by the law - they haven't any legal rights for additional settlement. Also if they continue to persist it would be considered harrassment and charges could be filed with the authorities.

Yes this was a very very very hard and stressful lesson for me to learn!

The reason I'm noting such here is for others to maybe read and know that they really should not sign anything that has any "reasonable doubt" in their minds and that you should look for some type of Community (usually free) financial/legal assistance if such probjems arrise!!! You do have options and it's better to be aware of them when dealing with such creditors as I am right now.

No comments: