Thursday, December 14, 2006

Sewing day with Linda

Oh my, me thinks me had a taste of retirement yesterday and wants more! LOL! Thank you so much Linda! Gonna have to plan more such getaway days next year.

See Linda M's hubby is away working and she asked if I can take a vacation day and come sew with her. Well I managed an afternoon and joined her around 2:00 pm after mailing off my Christmas cards and picking up my stuff. I got to use Bijou (her retreat machine) - not her fancier ones that is for sure - and stitched up four 12.5" blocks for a charity quilt. Linda was working on placemats from a class she had just completed and I loved the colours she had chosen. But I must say having that laptop smack dab in the middle of the sewing machines was mighty distracting especially with all the dinging that mail has arrived! LOL!

Then she fed me chicken divan on rice for supper - YUMMY - and green and yellow beans for the veggies - my favourites!

Then back up to the sewing room and I switched over to trying to stitch up some kleenex box covers - not so successfully but okay. I borrowed my ex-bosses bought one and my sister did the planning and I'm off to the races sewing them with no instructions - see my delimma. I'm sure there is a commercial pattern somewhere but heck I've enough bills/patterns I don't need to buy another one when there are more intricate ones I would like to have instead. Well I finished off the one and Linda graciously gave me two gold ball buttons and VOILA it's finished - sorry no pic either - maybe next week.

Then I assisted Linda in attaching binding the easy way and gosh I could slap myself up one side and down the other for doing mine the hard way all these years!!! This is so easy but you have to allow at least 12" play room as Linda found out, but we were trying to eliminate two joins just about side by side. It worked and I think she's stitched it in place today - if I read her email correctly.

I even was serrenaded(? ) by Jonathan practicing his flute and I was much appreciative and told him so even though he was reluctant to do so. On Sunday is my great nephew's piano recital and this will be the first one I'm missing and was quite put out about it. I passed on my hoorahs with Pat and was told he is feeling stage fright this year. I told him to just play for his own enjoyment and maybe it'll be okay - I hope so as he's pretty good and I love when he plays for me when I'm over there. Not that I'd know if he's following the music sheets but if I recognize the song I know when he slips up. And he gets a charge out of seeing Auntie with tears and smiles - heck what can I say, I'm a softie!!!

Tonight is guild meeting night and tomorrow evening I work. Then Saturday I have off for our satellite Christmas party and then Sunday I work. BUT inbetween and maybe during I'm working on crocheting the tops of the kitchen towels and also have my friend's crazy patched block to finish embellishing. She's already completed mine and it's probably in the mail already so I've got to get moving on it! I definitely need another 4-6 "free" hours added onto my evenings - there just is not enough time in my day!

1 comment:

Linda Mullen said...

Jonathan would like you to know that it's not a flute but a clarinet, he plays 1st clarinet in his class now and I hear that it's an honour as there are 1st, 2nd and 3rd clariets. He prefers playing 2nd though, he says there's no pressure there LOL