Saturday, December 10, 2011

Aurora Christmas Potluck

Well as usual we had a lovely gathering of quilters/friends with an awesome feast too (thank you to Ricky & Florence for the turkey, dressing and gravy) along with everyone else for the various many and diverse dishes today.  Even though I had not had breakie, my eyes were still bigger than my stomach and I felt bad not eating all on my plate, and when it came to dessert well I was history but had to have some of Tami's death by chocolate and got to take home some of Margo's pineapple dessert and the leftover chocolates!!!  YUMMY.

They were calling for me to get out of the kitchen (tonnes of dishes with all the courses etc) and come sit down - the gift exchange was going to take place.  NOOOOOO something else first!!!  Hmmmmmm, then it got kinda spooky as everyone was looking at me and then Audrey picked up some folded up fabric and very seriously apologized for the lateness etc for this gift from them all.  Needless to say I was starting to tear up as I realized right away what it was!  It was mentioned "A little late, but definitely not forgotten!"


I'll digress a bit here ...  See February 26th my Dad had passed away (at 97 years) and our group was in the midst of preparing a farewell quilt for Mobird who was desserting us for the Eastern Seaboard so I did not think about them making a comfort quilt for me at that time.  But by the fall time I wondered why I had not received at least some blocks from members (I had received earlier a money gift from Jeanette and Martin and bought myself a much wanted crazy patch book which I use often).  I was going to say something then but thought there must be a reason for nothing happening so I kept quiet and then preparations for the various Christmas events was starting and I totally forgot.  BUT THEY DIDN'T - bless your hearts!!!

So there I was getting soppy eyed and just WOWed when this quilt was unfolded!  I love it (there's LOVE in Dianne's block too) and was in such a tither I had to sit down or my legs were going to crumble.  It's beautiful and I love the effort each of you put into the blocks and Aurdrey for putting it together!  THANK YOU so much!!!




Yes it is now gracing my bed and my poor 30-yr old quilt (my sister Erlene & I made together)  is put away till I can find the time for some much needed repairs and then it will come out in the summertime again (a very light weight one)!

Then after all this hoopla was the gift exchange!  And again this year I received two more lovely Angels and a lighting up Snowman along with some crazy patch fabrics, threads etc from Jeanette (might be from Martin too) and then from Tami a lovely table centre which I've not totally unwrapped to see how it works but the angel on top turns I think from the heat of a candle.  Lovely pressies my friends.  
Oh my what's the office gonna do
when I take these home!
Hmmm maybe it's what am I gonna do
when I take them home with me???

A lovely day that is for sure.  Merry Christmas my friends!

4 comments:

Quayceetatter said...

Merry Christmas!! What a beautiful quilt and it looks nice on your bed. Linda in NM

Carol J said...

You are blessed to be surrounded by so many good friends!

Rose Anne B said...

Thank you Linda in NM, sorry I don't have your email to send directly. :)))

kerrykatiecakes2 said...

I love the idea of comfort quilts! Wrap it all around you and feel the love!