Sunday, September 17, 2006

Learnt Something New

Howdy there! First off I have to tell you my quilty sister Sylvia arrived Friday in time to join me for our guild meeting and she brought me a couple of pressies!!! One is a Stumpwork SRE book and I'll probably be using some of the flowers for my CofHs or CQ stuff. And the other a very LOVELY pressie from my Dad so I promptly paid for my just ordered glasses, bought some much needed dress clothes at Nygaard's discount warehouses and paid some bills too. Yep Sylvia and I had a lovely weekend and we were also joined for breakie by our youngest sister Florence who was in the city to visit her grandson and shop with us too. WOW! Good thing I had most of the weekend off from the part time job (gotta go in shortly). Then Sat. afternoon I visited with my satellite quilting group and then checked out two LQSs before going for supper at my nieces! Then Sylvia and I returned to my apartment to experiment!!!

Sorry but I can't show you as I don't have a digital or scanner yet! BUT I explained what I had seen at The Croft and that Eileen had quickly explained to me and said it was so easy to do and I knew if anyone could do it it would be Sylvia! Well sure enough after a couple of trial and errors we did pull it off - I even made one but she did have to unstuck my jam up - LOL! I'll try and explain here what we played with.

First off you need the dissolveable Sulky or whatever and 3 or 4 layers of it and secure in a hoop. Draw out what you want to do (we did dragonflies) and fill in the design with crosshatching or stipling but ensure there is enough overlap so it won't fall apart. Then switch to a satin stitch and go around the wings or shape. You can also put a fine wire in around the top wing and satin stitch over, then it'll be bendable for 3-D. Then we switched to straight stitching and did 3-4 lengths of the body and the switched to a wider satin and also darker thread and went over the straight stitching and made the long body, but tapered tail. Knotted the ends and leave a half inch tail to later anchor under the body when stitching to whatever base.

Then cut away the shape, but save the pieces (in a baggie along with the rest of the supply) as we used two layers whenever we had a "tear" and thus we didn't have to scrap that try - AWESOME! I just use the washroom sink and rinsed very carefully until all the Solvy was dissolved. Or you can leave some in and then it'll have a transluscent sheen to it. VOILA here you'll have your own lacey works! One is not so great but the other I can use!

Now I'm sure someone else has done this before but it's new to me and I'm very pleased with my first tries. AND my sister already has ideas just a clambering to be tried out and can't wait until she has some time to play at home (I gave her some stuff too). She's on her way home and glad it's not a hot day like yesterday.

Okay now I've got to get dressed and outta her to work! Bye for now.

No comments: