Tuesday, February 02, 2016

Gimli 2016 Quilters Getaway

OK this year we started out testing if my 2008 Honda CRV has the wherewithal to cart Sylvia, Pat and my own sewing perafinalia for a quilting retreat weekend.  WELL LO AND BEHOLD she does and we weren't jam packed!  So we started off stopping into Keystone Quilts for a few must haves and a nice visit.  Then off to Selkirk for a few purchases at the Big Dollar Store and lunch at Barney Gargoyle's before stopping into Tim's to pick up a long forgotten jacket then onto Gimli!

My first projects were to finish the bindings on two Aurora Quilters charity quilts that my sister Sylvia sewed up the tops, I donated the backings from my stash (both had been given to me), Audrey Gatey quilted both lovingly and I added the binding.  There were many compliments on the patterns used and on the quilting.


Here's Sylvia and I enjoying Gyros at Europa across from the hotel.  By the way that's a SMALL fries that all three of us shared and we still left behind half a plate!!!  And that's Sylvia and her middle daughter Pat who enjoys quilting with us!  An awesome weekend with family and friends.


Then one day it was like ZERO and I went for a walk in my sweater only and shoes - not really smart - oh well!  Gimli is getting ready for its own Ice Festival too.  Then I took some pictures of the striking sky with ice fishing shacks out on the lake.



Here's Sylvia's bargello wall hanger finished - just to sandwich and quilt it.  She started it in October at the South Beach retreat but found it too much concentration and set it aside periodically to work on something else before going back to it.  LOVELY and my colours!

This is Pat's modified 1600 Jelly Roll quilt which she finished off this year and is very happy with it.  She used Carellan's long arm for the first time and quilted it herself!  Congrats Pat!

On a sad note, after 23 years Jocelyn has sold her Quilt Shop, closing end of February.  She's retiring so they can travel more and intends to still check out our retreats.  Wendy and her hubby, owners of Fabriculous of Swan River have bought Jocelyn's shop and are hoping to take over the Gimli quilt retreat and bring back classes etc.  YEAH!!!


Then I switched and sewed up the members' required two placemats using florals for our Dryden Quilt Show banquet.  So mine are finished and sent back with Sylvia to be accounted for.  After that I switched to my Australian/NZ fabrics and continued making up 8 inch blocks for my personal couch quilt - hopefully finish it off this year too!


This is a modified version of Sylvia's poinsettia table topper that she worked on in November that Pat wanted for herself.  I think it is just awesome and on the green outer strips and the inner yellow strips Pat used a fancy stitch for the quilting.  Nifty idea!

On this wall hanging Sylvia just about finished all the straight stitching on the various small fused pieces to make the details.  Lovely too!

NOW this is a class that Fabriculous is teaching in Moose Jaw quilt show this year.  We got to see the assembly of two tuffets at the retreat as two quilters bought the class requirements, sewed up their own tops and went home with their own tuffets to match their quilts!!! 

Yes this was a really nice retreat compared to recent ones there.  I even think they have a new chef as no more Italian buffet but one was chicken and ribs and the other was a delicious prime rib - with lots of extras too.  I can't wait to see what next year brings with the new owners many ideas and enthusiasm.   

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a lot of fabulous quilts and projects you all worked on. I love your landscape photos, and that everything fit right into your little car. Maybe I should look for one. =) Just as soon as this one is closer to paid for. LOL I'm glad someone is buying your great quilt shop and has plans. That's a long run for a quilt shop!

Unknown said...

Thanks for you kind words! We can't wait to have some more fun in Southern Manitoba!

Rose Anne B said...

Thank you Wendy. I can tell you that many quilters are glad for the continuance of a quilt shop in Gimli.