Friday, August 17, 2012

Vacation Catch Up

Well I’m back from my 10-day vacation at my sister’s and had a lovely relaxing time even though Len, my brother-in-law, felt a heaviness in his chest and shortened breath, was ambulanced to Dryden hospital and spent the whole time there being checked out before being released maybe this week. Thankfully it was confirmed that he did not have a heart attack or a stroke – so fortunate! It was lovely out there but too soon this year the leaves are changing with early autumn approaching. I did take some pictures and hope to make up some new thread painted landscape postcards. Will have to see.

The first chance I had I worked on stitching the binding onto my “Touch of Red” twin sized black, white and red charms quilt that I had Irene Johnson from Nestor Falls quilt it for me. Lovely flowers stitched into the piano keys border and swirls in the quilt centre. And you’ll see Sylvia’s (done before mine) larger queen sized quilt with her own fabrics along with some of my B&W charms before I got the idea to do the same pattern but on a smaller scale myself – disappearing 9-patch. But I still have some fabrics left over and hope to make up some other pattern with them too.

One day I hope to establish a website and upload both mine and Sylvia’s and maybe even Pat’s projects with descriptions for whomever to see and who knows maybe sell. Time will tell.

During this vacation Sylvia and I prepared for the quilt sale and once the first few busy days passed by Sylvia did take off to visit Len in hospital, got some items he wanted along with groceries for home before returning around supper time. She was tired and I had a quiet day sewing and did some house tidying.
We both enjoyed our days stitching up items that in most cases the next day someone would snatch it up – we just chuckled. I had brought some of my favourite fabric with me and found a pattern with interesting details but naturally the sizes of pieces and finished quilt were not to my liking. So naturally Sylvia came to my rescue and the two of us designed a hanger to fit my fabric poppies and I just LOVE IT!!! Thank you Sylvia once again for bailing me out of a jam!!! Much appreciated.

I even stitched up a second Flowers n ‘Flies table runner after the first one sold quickly, but forgot to take a picture and guess what it was snatched up that same day and now too late for picture taking. We just laughed. I can tell you that the next one I stitched up – I've got to take the picture but this time around no one dropped by so I still have it.

Oh on my what to NW Ontario I dropped in to visit Adeline and Bill and she showed me a quick and easy block assembly that was totally finished in one step basically. So on our trip to Dryden following the ambulance with Len and overnight at a motel, the next day I picked up WalMart’s “Jellies” (smaller than the Jelly Rolls) in black, white and yellow and promptly tried out Adeline’s idea. These were like small table centres and a one-block hot mat/pad but they are still around.

I also got all the HST sliced in half for the MPQ Nickel Challenge quilt about half of them pressed open ready for squaring up and then in September – back out to Sylvia’s for another vacation – both of us will be stitching them up. If I get them all stitched tog and the borders on then Sylvia will spend some time quilting it so I can then get the label and binding on. These all have to be finished and handed in at the December MPQ meeting to be handed over to the ABC Charity Quilts program. I know that I will not do such a pattern again unless it’s in a miniature scale – dang it sure is adding up to many hours and I’m not in stitching mode yet!!!

No comments: