Wednesday, December 02, 2009

Another FACES Block Finished!

Well I’m very impressed with Nicki’s blocks and especially with what the others have done on their chosen blocks for her too!!! VERY LOVELY!!!



Now I must say I thought and thought about my block ahead of time - had my idea set, then last week had to change it as my initial mermaid idea I knew would take too dang long to do. So hopefully this one works for whatever idea Nicki has for these blocks? But who knew embellishing/beading would take me a week of evenings to do!!!

First I started out with trying Ritva’s BAS #40 (build a seam) in the top right, first with little semi drop pearl buttons – not good; then another bead – not good; and finally settled on these beads. Then I went to my trusted NZ JOs postcard booklet and did the trusted but easy fern in feather stitch down the left side. And I also tried a new one and totally love it in Japanese Button-hole Twist in the bottom right, the pink just pops. Naturally I played with beading on the fronds on the right and also for the ferns on the left. Still I had this gaping hole (guess I’m stepping into the well embellished phase???) top left so I found a shell button and did my own thing for it.





And then I noticed a couple of seams still bare so did some simple open cretan with a chain stitch and a fly stitch to mimic leaves and feel that it is ready now for Nicki’s lovely poly clay face I’d chosen.



So I stayed with my original plan of attaching the face with sequin flowers at the base, a larger green bead to anchor and then strings of gold seed beads across and down to the block through a shell teardrop. Yes I think it is just lovely! I thought of adding a row of beads along her face but was undecided so dropped that idea and declared this baby finished. Guess I just missed the cut off by a couple of days but now it’s onto Leslie and then it’ll be coming HOME!!!



Yep this Faces DYB is only one month away from being complete – well except for the block the owners have to embellish for a 6-pack! YEAH!!! I just can’t wait to see my blocks up close and personal like!!! I know first hand that pictures just don’t do the embellishments any justice.

3 comments:

Faye said...

Oh Rose Anne, these blocks are great. I wish I could touch and fondle them. Your seam treatments are really lovely, you have done a wonderful job on it. Nicki's little faces are great as well, and the colours in the blocks are so well put together... I like it!!!!
cheers - Faye

tattrldy said...

Very pretty! I just love the color of these blocks! I would love to see this in person - as you say, pictures just doesn't do it justice.

NickiLee said...

Rose Ann - Thank you so much for turning my blue face into something so gorgeous! Your stitching is just out there- beautiful work! I would love to send you a ton more faces to work on LOL! I have never been so excited about getting a set of blocks back - Thank you

Nicki