Thursday, August 02, 2012

Sane Quilting, Tatting, and CQing too!

OK I finally finished off two table runners/wall hangings (whichever it could be) that I started at the Morden quilt retreat beginning of May. I'm very pleased with them and it was John at work that mentioned to me that the Dragonfly n Flowers could also be a wall hanging, not just a table runner! Hmmmm I was impressed!  I fell in love with this dragonfly and flowers fabric so fussy cut the squares and then added coordinating strips for an on-point effect.
Dragonfly n Flowers
Type Styles
This one is basically using a feature fabric with images of a typewriter and it's keys which I cut up into 2" squares and laid them out with a light orange batik alternately. Then Tami came along and said I needed 4" squares thrown here and there - that was after at least 2 hours the previous night of laying out the squares to my liking. I cut out the 4" squares, gave them to her and let the girls go for it, then came back and stitched it all up. And honestly I like this mucho better than my static 2" blocks throughout. The pattern is "Table Stripes Runner" within "Quilt Your Stash" - great projects from Joan Ford's Scrap Therapy program.  I love those drapery clips instead of stitching on a hanging sleeve.

Also in June I finished off my B&W disappearing 9-patch blocks quilt top (named A Touch of Red) and dropped it along with my delectable mountains lap quilt along with backing/batting to my machine quilter and a couple of weeks ago got a call that they were done and ready for pick up! WOW!!! So I prepared the binding for the B&W&R and will bind it while on vacation and who knows maybe someone will want to buy it! Pictures of the quilts to come.

While house/garden sitting for Angela, I spent my evenings in front of the TV stitching up these coasters trying to use up my stash of selvedges (tightly woven edges from fabrics) using the fancy stitches of my sewing machine.  I swear these things multiple in that bag!


Then earlier in the year I worked on the china saucer pincushions but felt they were kind of "bare" so then decided to tat an edging and anchor around the centre button. Well some I even added beads into the outer chain stitches. One I didn't get a picture of as it was swapped for a bobbin laced butterfly with Mary, but these are the last two I dressed up.

And not sure if I've blogged this but am including it here.  Within our SewBuds crazy quilting group I've a "panel" going around a second time after some embroidery by myself.  Someone mentioned the centre patch with the white lace reminded her of a mountain and so I wanted a winding downhill stream or river over the seam, along with tufts of greenery.  Not sure if I pulled it off but it's there.


Now back to crocheting hangers onto my kitchen towels and basically relaxing after running around most of the evening.

1 comment:

tattrldy said...

Goodness, you've been busy! I like the dragonfly runners a lot interesting configuration. I must say I agree with Tami, adding those larger squares really looks good in your 'Type Styles'.
I've never heard of anyone saving their selvedges before but I like how you used them. Neat idea.
Love the pincushions! <3 The tatting really puts the finishing touch on them. (I'm not partial or anything....)
Your CQ looks wonderful. I keep telling myself "one day I'm going to have the time to learn to do that" That day hasn't come yet but I do admire those who can. I love the little guy in it.