It was too bad that I had an ungraceful uncontrolled meltdown at work the week before that put a horrible damper on this event. BUT it was very good that those there did not know the circumstances and only knew that I just about had not attended. Yes I would have missed it and I did get a lot of sewing accomplished that weekend - a good deal of it with the help of my sister and friends. Thank you all.
Can you believe this - I did not really take retreat pictures!!! I did photograph some quilt show items which will eventually be in my Webshots albums and yes I did get Sylvia to take a few pictures of my various projects that I worked on. So here they are.
My first attempt at Sashiko and I must say I did pretty good. To fill the space I did a varied echoing around with the Sashiko cotton thread.
These black & white with the red centre nine patch blocks were stitched up then cut apart and restitched as disappearing 9-patch blocks in March. Then I snagged my sister and niece to "layout" the quilt top - I was going buggy and just gave up by myself. So during the retreat I assembled the quilt top and added the narrow red inner border. After this retreat I did start cutting the remaining 6.25 inch black & white blocks in half and stitching up the outer piano key like border. One day I'll finish it off and repost again.
Then I found this awesome dragonfly fabric at Kathy's Quilt Shop in Carman along with the coordinating fabrics and used a pattern Sylvia had with her. EXCEPT the pattern was basically 2.5 inch squares all sewn together - NADA I was not doing that. I wanted something simpler using the lovely fabric designs for the centre blocks and then the coordinating fabrics I cut in strips and assembled together. Now all I have to do is put it together in a pillow slip fashion - eliminating binding period.
Now this fabric with various images of typewriters and it's keys on a blotchy coloured background just caught my eye last year at Kathy's Quilt Shop in Carman and in my book "Quilt Your Stash" from Joan Ford's "Scrappy Therapy" program I sort of followed the "Table Stripes Runner" pattern. I found the pastel orange-like batik for contrast to do a sort of colour wash look. Then Tami suggested I should throw in some 4" blocks of the typewriter and the word blocks - SHEESH - it took me ages to set those blocks down on my flannel board. I did like the idea but totally dreaded redoing anything, so I cut the blocks out and let them go with reconfiguring the layout, then I sewed it all together. I LOVE IT!!! THANK YOU ladies!!!
Yes I did enjoy my weekend even though there was that dark cloud hanging over me!