Sunday, October 02, 2011

Class on the Grass


 Yes that is what the St. Norbert Farmers Market named yesterdays cultural display that I was part of.  There were a few of us that participated but since we were in the far corner basically where the entertainment and picnic tables were for sitting a spell, not to many ventured into this area once the Carribbean music stopped.  To bad, but then the gusting winds were a menace and my display board keep wanting to FLY away!!!  BUT what a LOVELY FALL day and it did reach the mid-20s C in temp which helped ward off the windchill!!!

First off thank you to Florence who came with me, was my photographer and kept me company for part of the three hours I was there (other times she checked out the vendors - which are awesome) - I appreciated that!  AND thanks to Dianne who ventured across the city to drop by too, much appreciated.

I can say it was a challenge to gather some of my Crazy Patch Quilting projects together along with a demo to take place there too.  Being the first time for me for something this long and a small tent-like structure for myself, I was not sure what to bring or how much to bring.  But from what you will see in the pictures I think I brought a cross sampling of my works and just enough to display too.  The three framed glass pieces I didn't even pull out of the suitcase as they'd have been history with the wind gusts (reported to be 40-55 km/hr)! 


Dressed for the winds!
Full display board


Left hand side


Middle

Right side

CQing etc display

Working on Cathy L's Sew It Up DYOB

Finally two ladies asking questions!
Thank you!

These ladies found it facinating to see the varied blocks from the Chain of Hearts DYOB #1 swap that I had on display.  The heart one was mine and the other was from Ritva - mine was bold and her's was tone-on-tone, both lovely but so different even down to the variations of the same stitches.

Florence providing colour advice
Sorry not so great a picture


Liz Chorney, bandurist
This last picture of Liz strumming her bandura (Ukrainian instrument) which I remembered from some of the WAY BACK country weddings/dances I went with my parents and also from the Ukrainian concerts I attended as a teenager.  Sure was nice to hear the story Ukraine's war victims that told their stories on street corners while playing their banduras - I didn't know that.  She's written a book "Strings of Life, Fate and Hope" available online from trafford.com/05-0812 (ISBN 1-4120-5911-9).

Yes it was a lovely afternoon but would have been lots nicer with some interested traffic in this awesome cultural display corner.  There was a lady with small loom that was making sashes/belts, another with knitted items on display and also Dot From with her needlework but the wind kept knocking it over so she had given up trying to stitch. 

Then I ended the day off being invited out for supper to my girlfriend's back in St. Norbert so it was a bit rushed to drive downtown to unload all this stuff (didn't want to do it later in the evening) and then back out there.  BUT I can tell you it was well worth it.  Bruce had roasted a lamb shoulder and then potatoes in sauce with some of the lamb drippings - delicious - Angela made yams, carmelized brussel sprouts (never had them like this), and sliced garden tomatoes - all was totally YUMMY!!!  Naturally we had a few drinks and later on after letting stomachs rest some we had lemon merique and pumpkin/whipped cream pie with coffee!!!  And as par for the course I came home with garden grown tomatoes and some of both pies!!!  Thank you my friends!

3 comments:

kerrykatiecakes2 said...

Thank you so much for sharing so much of your wonderful day! I almost feel like I was there and definitely wish I had been! This weekend here is Alberta Arts Days but I haven't seen anything this neat. The description of supper has me drooling - and I just ate breakfast!
Hugs,
Kerry

Mosaic Magpie said...

What a great looking display board you had. It is a shame more people did not stop by for a closer look. Thank you for sharing the photos with us.
Deb

Quayceetatter said...

Very nice display!!!Linda in NM