Thursday, October 06, 2011

Chain of Hearts DYOB Swap Block

OK I've finally caught up to week #3's stitches, at least on the swap block - definitely not on my own heart block (same stitches just about).  So here it is waiting for Sunday's call of stitch #4.  You see I'll have lots more to add in after the last one is called, but that's OK - makes the block lots more interesting!

Weeks #1, #2 and #3

Now this is week #1 - up and down buttonhole or blanket stitch and after some struggling I manageed to pull it off - even though I thought it was a totally different variation of the blanket stitch and thought I could breeze through it - NADA.  I figured the lace treatment needed a double row of this stitch to anchor it in place.  Then week #2 had the whipped spider wheel stitch thrown in and I thought that was quite appropriate for the lace tabs but a might trickier to do until I realized I had to TACK in place the lace centres and then go from there - worked fine after that.

This is actually week #2 with the feather stitch (included was the whipped spider wheel) which I chose to use the velvet floss I had bought some time ago but wasn't sure where or how to use it.  This was an experiement and not sure I like it but it's there.  So I added in some Delica beaded decor and now it's nifty like.
This is week #3 the wheatear stitch - nifty but what a chore to get the hang of.  Since I could not find a unique use for it I just went for the wheat plant motif.  Here I used the ribbon floss with a gold sparkle in it then a gold filler thread to accent the wheat tips and the chain closures.  I also took license and added some wider stem leaves outlined with stem stitch and filled inside with a tiny feather stitch.  I added the brass butterfly as an after thought.  Kinda misjudged the layout so might have to forego a seam treatment here - will see.

Now not sure what Sunday will bring but I just love this learning DYOB very much.  The bestest part is that I do a heart block for myself and then this square swap block and get to trade with someone else.  THEN the fun begins in checking out the received block for the various stitches and how that person interpreted and stitched it for me!  That's the awesome part as usually they are so different from my own and yet so awesome.  Thank you Margreet (and sometimes helper Maureen) for this activity and also all the ladies who participate too!  LOVE IT!!!

No comments: