Sunday, June 20, 2010

I'm Quilting!!!

Oh first off I have to say that I'm back on track with my 5km-1hr brisk walk first thing in the mornings and talk about lovely out there at 6:30 am!!!  Well on the weekends it was a might later but today at 9:45 to start out was just too brutal with the temp rising!!!

Yep don't fall off your chairs but I decided that this weekend would be like a quilting retreat and so far not bad.  Friday night I took a drive outta the city with Linda and Dianne and checked out some fabric samples for sale and yes I picked up a handful of items - one is a package of three crib quilt panels for $8 - good deal I say.

Then Saturday was our summer "picnic" gathering for the Aurora Quilters and Norma and Ted once again hosted it for us, but sadly to say it will be their last as they are moving in August to Naniamo BC to be near their aging parents.  It was a lovely turnout with an awesome buffet once again and I stitched lots on my CQd block and hope to attach all the embellishments tonight then it's ready for shipping on.  When I got home from there I zipped out for some groceries and then washed/dried the crib panels ready for assembly.

After supper I gathered my quilt tops, batting, backings and the 505 spray baste and off to work I went.  Yep I got approval to come in and use the meeting room's large tables to assemble my quilts and also stitch here too.  NOW I can tell you that I will not be using regular basting pins or stitches to sandwich quilts again.  I LOVE this 505 and thank you BRANDY so much encouraging me to give it a try, and there was no smell like the 606 that I've used for my postcards (which I've finished the can and will not be buying again).  The layers stayed in place lickety split even for a beginner quilter to tackle.

AND today I packed my supper and after a late start hauled my sewing machine and music to work, got set up and at 12:30 started quilting my first crib panel AND was finished at 3:30 - WOW!!!  I definitely need one of those smooth teflon panels for my machine for smoother slide but with those quilters gloves I got in one of my retreat door prizes over the years it was not too bad.  I even was catching onto the rhythm needed and some of my stitches were decent.  NOW I still need lots and lots of practice but I was not so scared this time to give it a go and no one around to come to the rescue.  There was one patch I had to rip out as my tension just went screwy but the rest is not bad from the back too.  This first panel was basically start and stop around the decorations and then I switched to my walking foot (that works great now it was adjusted) and did a bit on the preprinted borders.  So now I just have to decide if this is it or if I'll be adding on a 1" border around this (picture to follow).

So now I'm checking emails and taking a rest before tackling another panel before stopping for supper.  Yep I's having fun and it feels like a mini quilt retreat for me too!!!

No comments: