Tuesday, June 22, 2010

CQd Batik Block

Okay, another tardy block is finished, washed with Retayne and hopefully colourfast now and once dried and gently pressed will be sent on it's way! PHEW I think I took on more than I anticipated within the time frame for this one but it was what I wanted to do right from the get go and did not waver even when I passed the mailing date. Hopefully I've not held up the activity too much in this personal swap!

This is the first time I've actually embroidered on Batiks and I can tell you it was a tough challenge but I think it turned out very lovely - I even tried some new tatting patterns and seam treatments too. I know that every chance I had, I dragged this baby around with me and either tatted the pieces or embroidered the seam finishes. It garnered many glances and compliments and the best was from my Manager voicing his approval on my work and that I was giving it away - most others are female and many are in awe of my CQing/quilting/etc. And most just don't understand that aspect of swapping such time consuming pieces - it's the joy of seeing one's work appreciated by the reciever and knowing it will be cared for too.

Okay enough of gabbing, here are the pics and I'll try and include pattern links for the tatting underneath.  First the finished block intact!


Then the individual tatted and embroidered embellishments.

Sherry Pense Butterfly in Profile

Small Tatted Heart by Betsy Evans

Simple Angel by Birgit Phelps 2002


 
Butterflies are Forever Free (varied slightly)
Riet's Dragonfly (split rings)

Now here are section pictures for a closer look at the stitches used etc.
 Top Left
Top Right 
Centre Left
 Centre Right
 Bottom Left
 Bottom Right

Now it's to sit back and see how this is received!  Well actually won't be much sitting back as I've other swap blocks I've got to get cracking on to - well maybe not cracking - but stitching!!!  (chuckling to my slight joke)

7 comments:

Diane said...

Rose Anne, the combination of batik fabric and variegated threads is just stunning. And I am loving your tatting pieces.

Chef Tiger said...

Very nice! and inspiring... hope you don't mind but I've made a few notes for myself on some seam ideas :) I only wish I could do the tatting myself... perhaps one day I'll have the time to learn.

Faye said...

Lovely work Rose Anne, as usual... Now go to bed and get some sleep!!!
cheers - Faye

Anonymous said...

Rose Anne,your tatted elements are just darling--and they set off the rest of the work beautifully. Thanks for the great photos! Lynn in SoCal

Rose Anne B said...

No problemo Chef Tiger in trying any of the seam finishes as most of them are shared from others to begin with! (winking)

Shari said...

I love the colors on this block and the tatting is really set off by your placements. It is easy to bite off more than we can chew sometimes - how do I know, lol???
Just keep plugging away and you will get done..no one will be the worse for it either. Lovely work.

Agnieszka Winnicka said...

The thread color on this tatting is just awesome. It is my faverite shade of purple and I am still looking for this variation in size 10...(sight)
Fantastic work!!!