Saturday, March 13, 2010

An Ouchie Walk!!!

Okay, I had great intentions to enjoy the spring-like conditions outside by taking a walk to the Forks, walk around there and then return home shortly afterwards.  Honest!!!  I know I did not plan on what actually happened, just changed my plans afterwards to sort of drown my sorrows so to speak!

Well I decided (against my better judgement obviously) to make use of the riverwalk before the spring thaw floods it till after June or so.  When I first started out the pathway was like slimy clay topping and the quarry rock edging was mostly dry separating the pathway and the rocky base to the river.  So DUMMY here gingerly crossed the slimey pathway to this rock edge and carefully walked on that till halfway to the Forks - actually the Water Taxi dock just west of the Donald St bridge before misfortune met me.


I don't know what happened, the rocks were edged with cement marking the dock edge, all was dry and double the width and no one near me or any distraction around me so I don't know WHY I fell.  But fall I did and sort of sideways off the ledge and onto a snowbank still there ontop of the just breaking up river ice.  At first I was not scared, just dazed, as I badly hurt my already damaged right arm/shoulder grazing it on the way off the ledge.  This snowbank cushioned my fall but as I started to get up I realized I was sinking - now I'm sure but I think I was a way up yet from the unstable ice but I realized this was the deepest part as it was the boat dock - not just the angled riverbed.  So quickly I got back up onto the ledge and then walked gingerly to the bench opposite and sat until my stomach settled.  Then I checked out my elbow which was paining me badly and my fingers/wrist tightening aching too.  Well no mark on my jacket elbow nor my long sleeved top but there's a two inch scrape bleeding and movement sore - HMMMM!

Now what to do - I'm halfway to the Forks - do I return home and tend to this scrape or do I continue to the Forks and see if they have first aid to dress it up?  Well it was nice out and my stomach was settling some so onto the Forks I went BUT this time I went back up to the road and used the sidewalk.  Yes Security had some cream and bandaides to protect it some.  That's when I decided I needed a drink and went to Muddy Waters tavern and enjoyed nachos and ceasars for my supper before walking back.

By this time my shoulder and back were tightening up and I took an icepack to bed for a couple of hours.  What a waste for my Saturday and I'm still not sure if I can tat or stitch as it's my right hand/arm that still hurts.  No I'm not going to waste my weekend sitting in urgent care as I know I can move and nothing is broken - just sore.  I still don't know why I went down!!!  See I KNOW exercise is a hazard to my life!!!  LOL!

5 comments:

Candi said...

OH RoseAnne that sounds like it was so dangerous! I hope you're shoulder is better real soon, that makes sit so hard to do anything! Take care.
hugz:)
Candi

kerrykatiecakes2 said...

Oh Rose Anne - how scary to land on that breaking up ice! I think ceasars and nachos were definitely called for!! Good for you!

I hope this does not have too much of an adverse effect on your shoulder. Take care of yourself!
Hugs,
Kerry

Rose Anne B said...

Thanks Candi and Kerry and yes, I'm very thankful it was not full fledged spring breakup yet!!!! All that flashed through me when I was sitting on the bench looking at the ledge to see what happened, I realized that's the deepest part near shore as the boats dock there and many fish from that spot too!!! YOWSERS that's when my stomach did major roller coaster effects and the shaking legs began.

CarolynPhi said...

Rose Anne:
I'm so sorry you took such a hard tumble!!! Not only the fall, but OMG, it would have been so awful if you had gone into that icy water...what a nightmare!! I hope you're feeling better now; and hope your pain is temporary.
Big giant hugs,
Carolyn

Linda Mullen said...

Ouchie! Hope it feels better soon.