Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Sugar Plum Fairy Block Finished!!!

YAHOOIE finally I have completed a very tardy block commitment!!!  Yes, I've caught up on the CQI Faces 1 DYB block for Leslie!  I sure hope she likes it and I'm sorry I took so long to catch up. 

Okay first off it was around Christmas and thankfully for Avon's "Heavenly Tree Topper" this year in helping generating my initial Sugar Plum Fairy idea.  Yep initially it was inspired by this lovely photo and then details from the Avon angel and my own creative ideas.


Okay, here's the block with my seam treatments - this time done first before the "motif" or in this case the doll is attached - not like my other attempt of stitching after the motif is attached.  Nope not smart at all!!!  And if you look closely I've tried to practice some BAS seam treatments here.


So now it's the "birth" of my Sugar Plum Fairy - known as Ms Aurora!  The reason for this is I started stitching her towards the end of the week and she was turned and stuffed at my Aurora Online Quilters gathering on Saturday.  So the girls and I thought it appropriate she be Ms Aurora!  And once home again I started turning ribbon into her skirt points - think they turned out not bad at all!!!

Okay, now the hard part began as I had to figure out how to attach her dress, head and staff - I can tell you it was not easy!  Then the MAJOR trial was trying to "tat" the wings!  I finally found a butterfly pattern and then improvised it for wings.  I wanted to attach a burgandy bow to her hair but it just did not look right so I've left it off and will send it with the package and let Leslie decide to use or not.



I decided that this block did not need any detailed patch embellishments so then I decided to audition various tatted butterflies for the two major patches but zippo - none appealed to me.  So I scrounged my stash and came up with this rose colour and quickly tatted up two smaller versions and I think that's it!!!

Ms Aurora will be mailed tomorrow to Leslie!!!

Here are the other four blocks that were made for Leslie:

5 comments:

katiejayinpa said...

Rose Anne, the seam treatments are to die for!The choices are wonderful, the colors are inspiring to me....just wonderful all the way around! The doll is adorable...so well done! This must really have been something amazing to do....the RR itself really brought out the creativity in everyone!

Anonymous said...

Ms Aurora turned out great! You ARE very creative and should be very proud of this project!

Pat J.

Anonymous said...

Oh Rose Anne, what an addition to Leslie's group. Love her fancy dress and the little sceptre. The wings are inspired! Lynn in SoCal

Anonymous said...

Fabulous! I love the little fairy you did.

NickiLee said...

Rose Anne - what a blast this RR was and I felt so privledged to be a part of it. All of the Sugar Plum Fairies just make me smile everytime I see them. Your gal turned out awesome!