Tuesday, January 19, 2010

GRRRRR BLOGGER!!!

Yep, I knew I would FORGET something till AFTER I had redone the original entry THREE times!!!  What a waste of my precious time and energy!!!

Anyways, I had made my Hearty Mushroom soup on day after about 2 hours plus of prep time and Sylvia got her breadmaker out and we had homemade bread to go with this everything-but-the-kitchen-sink-soup!!!  It was much better than my last attempt but still was lacking so Sylvia came to the rescue and just added more beef bullion soup mix for flavour and YUMMY!!!  It must have been good as Len asked to have it again the next day and then the leftovers (made a huge dutch over pot) were dished up and into the freezer for another meal with maybe some beef broth or water added.  Yes very yummy and for those who want here is the recipe.  Enjoy.


HEARTY MUSHROOM BARLEY SOUP

Makes 10 servings

2 tsp oil
3/4 lb ground beef (I use a pound usually)
2 1/2 cups sliced mushrooms (I used leftover fresh ones)
2 large carrots, diced/sliced
1 onion chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
5 cups beef stock (use OXO cubes etc)
5 cups water
1 19 oz can tomatoes (undrained or add frozen tomatoes chopped)
3 potatoes, diced
3/4 cup barley (I used POT barley)
1 Tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1 teaspoon dried marjoram (I don’t use this)
1 bay leaf (do not crush)
1/2 teaspoon each salt and pepper
1/2 cup chopped parsley (fresh or dried or frozen)
a few hot chili peppers (Pat uses these - like on Pizza)

- In large pot heat oil and cook beef for 5 minutes stirring to break up meat; drain off fat (I added in the onions, garlic and mushrooms before adding veggies)
- Add mushrooms, carrots, onion and garlic, cook for 3 minutes
- Stir in stock, water, tomatoes, potatoes, barley, Worchester sauce, marjoram, bay leaf, salt and pepper, chili peppers (optional) and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat, cover and simmer until potatoes and barley are tender, about 30 minutes.
- Discard bay leaf, stir in parsley

Can be refrigerated for up to 3 days - or put into containers to freeze.


ENJOY!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm getting hungry reading about this soup and can't wait to make it again!

Pat