Sunday, December 06, 2009

Tatting Again!

Well after my thread sorting yesterday, I got down to business and stitched up fourteen basic 9-patch blocks that will be sent today to my WR group for their Emergency Services @ Sylvan Lake donation quilts for the 2010 retreat. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong as I was careful in cutting out the squares all the same then used the guided 1/4 inch foot BUT my blocks varied from 12.5 inch squares to 12.25 inch squares. The fabrics were washed so I'm sure it's not the pressing causing the shrinkage - I know it's not much but HECK it's annoying when you are trying to get the blocks the SAME size!!!

So after that I decided to get back into my tatting and do the two missed "extra" patterns to do with the self closing mock ring (SCMR) stitch/technique. And after two hours talk about frustrating as my core thread BROKE when trying to do the lock join (LJ). Well at least I'm doing the SCMR properly and found out why my LJs were movable instead of locked. See I was passing the core thread shuttle up through the back of the loop instead of down through the front of the loop - yes it locked and as the picture showed - BROKE!!!



Then when checking why the long rings is crooked I find I picot joined to the second instead of the first picot - SHEESH!!! So that's it on this thread, this is the second try on this heart pattern, and guess I'll go back to my #10 crochet cotton and attempt it once again hoping the thicker thread will withstand my working and allow me to finish the pattern so I get the drift of it. It actually is very nice and would like to make some for medallions for my CQing someday!

I'm going for a walk and fresh air to clear out the cobwebs! LOL!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I've done that before, where I need to work a pattern in larger thread before I do it again in smaller thread. Sometimes I do that with a pattern that I want done in HDT (Hand Dyed Thread). Sometimes I'll do it in a less expensive thread and then do it in the more expensive HDT.

Rose Anne B said...

Thank you TattingChic for all your kind comments in my tatting entries in My Creative Works blog. Much appreciated.