Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Margreet's Winter DYB Block

Okay this is a third RR event for me, but the second while the first is still going on, within the CQI group. Sometimes I think I'm CRAZY for signing up for another while the other one is not finished - especially as it's challenging topic of "faces" to boot!!! Oh well it'll all come out in the wash as they say!!! So here's the first group of the Christmas/Winter DYB belonging to Margreet of The Netherlands and she wanted them to have an ice - cool like look to them so only using white, silver, grey or ice blue colours!

finished block

OK I started out by adding the beaded cord and then anchoring in place her awesome accent piece adding more beads around it. Then I added the iridescent sequins to the eyelet fabric and silver beads to lock in place. I remembered I had this awesome sheer with sparkles on it so I hand appliqued it in place and anchored it with silver Colonial knots here and there. Then I found this appropriate yarn with a silver thread in it and arranged it in the open cretan stitch (my favourite) anchoring from the back and adding beads at the crossovers. Then I found my light grey shiny DMC and filled in the spaces with daisy stitches.

centre

bottom half

OHHHH I wanted so badly to make up some tatted/beaded button snowflakes but after three attempts I put paid to that idea and tatted a split ring trim and added larger silver lined beads to the centres. And sort of to complement, I did DMC perle cotton daisy stitch for another seam finish and larger iridescent beads at the centres. Then I took my ice blue (I think) shiny DMC and tried to imitate one of NZJO's
seam treatments but still not close in resemblance ;>) ! And for the last seam finish I used my silver DMC metallic (which I HATE to work with) and did my second favourite stitch – feather – with Colonial knots. I then found these sparkly snowflake buttons but cut off the chunky shanks and anchored in place – they can be removed if not wanted. Lastly I added the three star beads (always changing colours) and then the silver/grey flat sequins with beads to hold in place. Whoops, I forgot the seam broken by the accent piece - here I tried Kerry's BAS Week 39 - Braid Stitch with blue shiny DMC - but my photography is not so great!!!

top left

top right

Then I chose the “joint RR block” that we all have to work on to complete five of the six blocks before they head home. This one was easy as I decided to use the tinsel type of yarn Margreet included (couched of course) and added the silver beaded trims along with the star I learnt to make at my 3-D beaded workshop in August. The other seam finish is from my Judith Montano book “Embroidery and Crazy Quilt Tool Kit” on page 190 – Pistil Stitch + Colonial Knot + Straight Stitch using the shiny and metallic DMC and added the trio daisy stitches as fillers.

joint block

closeup

So I hope she likes what I’ve done here! Oh here's her emailed response to my uploads to the group - I gather she likes it!!!

"Hallo Rose Anne,
I took a look to what your work was on my DYB.
It is very good and cool I'm most pleased with it !!!!!!
... I loved to see the details. Thanks a lot.
Smiles Margreet."

No comments: