Monday, September 14, 2009

CQd Block is Finished

Okay this year I was lucky enough to sign up to make an 8 inch fancy fabrics CQd block for the Breast Cancer Quilt project with the Crazy Quilting International Yahoo Group. Last year our group participated and had enough blocks to stitch up "three" donation quilts, but I had joined up too late to stitch! So this year's the theme is Butterflies and Dragonflies but no beading - only jewel toned silk ribbon, dimensional and traditional embroidery with motifs of butterflies/dragonflies along with laces securely attached.

So here is what I came up with and I pray it is acceptable and fits in with the other blocks for this quilt and well worth project.

naked block

finished block

top half

bottom half

In these closeups you can see my so-called signature spider and web in metallics, the two crocheted butterflies I made along with my first attempt at an embroidered dragonfly (bottom right corner).



Here are detailed closeups of the Bullion Knot flowers on left and on the right my first attempt at Hedebo embroidery or Venetian rosette or Casalguidi as listed in Embroidery Techniques Using space-Dyed Threads by Via Laurie book I borrowed from the library.

I'm not sure when this quilt will be completed, but when a finished picture is posted in our group, I will do a followup posting too.

3 comments:

Shari said...

I am 100% positive that this block is up to and beyond expectations for the quilt project! You have done some beautiful work and balanced the quilt so nicely. To try new things with such success is also admirable. You rock! Hold your head up high -you have contributed your best work.

Cobi said...

Rose Ann I already commented on the photo's at the cqi group but want to add one here as well. I love your embellishments. the Hebedo flower is terrific and I'd love to learn how to do that. your bullion flowers are perfect. I'd like to borrow your bush with yellow flowers, its a great filler. you did a great job on the butterfly, is it your design? and I love the dragonfly.

Robin said...

Oooooh, this is a lovely block!!! I love the colors on white!