Thursday, April 09, 2009

Farewell Gift!

Okay, it was a short and sweet stay for Rhonda with our office and today we had a small farewell party for her at Tavern United. So now I'm alone holding down the office administrative duties again but hopefully short lived as interviewing plans are on the very near horizon this time!!!

Well with barely two weeks to make the preparations and find a suitable gift the pressure was on. I knew Rhonda gathered Kokopelli items and even had stencilled them in her home so I spent an hour or so on the phone trying to find a gift store that had some type of gift. AND to no avail, then one of the co-workers came over and suggested I just make something with my "talents"!!! YEAH right it's that easy and I now had one week to do so??? But then an idea formed (from Kokopelli.com) and within 15 minutes I had the plans for a small Kokopelli wall hanging planned out and could not wait to get home to search my fabric stash and get started.

So Saturday I started tracing, cutting out, adhering to the auditioned background fabric from the half dozen or so chosen, layered/basted the backing, batting and top together and then stitched through all in a fine satin stitch all around the design. That was like 5-6 hours later and then back to my housesitting to relax.



Then Sunday back to the apartment and I proceeded to attach the borders, print off the label, attach the binding - another 4 hours later and back to my housesitting to hand stitch the label and binding into place.





Monday evening was my Ravenesque quilting meeting and naturally show n tell of this hanger and Jackie kindly took my picture.



Tuesday lunch I headed to the apartment again to do some final touch ups with a fabric marker and clean off all the fuzz and hair which naturally the black attracted like a magnet. Then I brought it to work to be secretly shown off and gift wrapped. That is the FIRST time I've had a quilted project finished on time - well actually a couple of days ahead to be exact!!!

notice her boo-boo finger?
yes she was surprised
and very pleased
and loved the colours!

As for the luncheon, it was enjoyed by all who attended and dummy here forgot her camera at home but we borrowed another co-workers but two pictures and the batteries died!!! So Mike very kindly used his blackberry and took a few pictures for us to have and enjoy and me to show off!!!

BUT I've never heard of being given a farewell gift by the person leaving!!! Yep that is exactly what Rhonda did, presented our office with a gift as a thank you for the opportunity of working with us all!!! WOW!!!



an Apache Blessing!

And it looks just LOVELY above our printers and matches our new painted walls to the "T"!!! Thank you Rhonda!!!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Rose Ann--your piece is wonderfully executed; beautiful colors and design. Lynn/SoCal

gocrazywithme said...

Rose Ann,
You were inspired! There's no other word for it! Doesn't it feel wonderful to give a gift that fits the person so well and comes from your heart?

quiltlion said...

Beautiful wall hanging! I like the colors also!! Lyn G

Anonymous said...

It's so gorgeous, and I love that background. I can't imagine you gave it away! That must have been hard.

crazyQstitcher said...

What a wonderful artist you are Rose Anne. Your Kokopelli work is fantastic.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for the wonderful gift Roseanne it's beautiful, and will make an awesome addition to my collection - eeeeee.... I'm so excited... Thanx Again!