Monday, February 09, 2009

Gimli Retreat 2009

Yep another gathering of families and friends for 120 quilters (there abouts)!!! Again this year my sister Sylvia and her daughter Pat joined me along with Pat's friend and her two cousins. And there were many familiar faces (some also family members too) along with many quilters from MPQ and around.


Rose Anne, Sylvia and Pat


three sisters' 5 FQ challenge

Well I took one set of my step setting blocks belonging to my Moondance quilt with me and "rippit" six of the twelve blocks and resewed them with scant 1/4 inch seams to ensure they were the proper size to fit with the other blocks. Now to finish off the other six and then to find the other twelve connecting blocks and put these together in rows to allow me to start the applique items. I also took some crazy patch postcards to work on BUT didn't bring the "right" bag of floss - DUH!!! BUT I did bring along my crochet project for a bit of change - though I did not finish the item.



Sylvia only brought a couple of projects with her and I really liked the table runner she was working on with pansy fabric and then she was starting the upside down machine technique for appliquing the poppies into the centre of one of her watercolour garden quilt blocks. I'm letting her perfect the process and flower designs before I finish off sewing my colourwash blocks and start on mine.







Then Pat and Dianne (her friend) took the "Modern Thinking" quilt class with Rita Wasney Friday night. Pat continued working on more blocks over the weekend along with redoing the binding on her Celtic Table Topper from a previous MPQ workshop. Dianne and her cousins worked on various projects they had brought with them and they were busy when they were in the sewing room!!!

Rita's sample


We can do so much with computers BUT we can't open eyes!!!



We all partook the hands on demo of making a basket - thank you to Barb from Carellan - and I enjoyed it so much I bought more cording to make another basket or hotmat with coasters from some fabrics I have laying around home.



I also took part of a "home parties" demo and enjoyed an awesome foot treatment which I now know will have to continue at home. And again Pat, Dianne and I had our manicures. So we all played it low key this year and just relaxed, I don't think I stayed up later than midnight!!!

Yep, we've preregistered for next year again but seems we are the only ones who did not register for the extra Thursday evening, hope there'll be tables for us!!!

Then on the way home we stopped into Winnipeg Beach at the "Keepers Quilts" (just opened up the past year now) LQS run by Shelly (204)389-4333 or email: shelly@keepersquilts.ca and finally found what Sylvia was looking for Fran by Michael Miller Landscapes Snowy Chateau Winter Panel. Sylvia was so impressed she also wants to make this for herself.

Store sample.

Then I too picked up a different panel by Hoffman California Naturescapes E900 but in the cold blue colours (not the brown colours) and I'm thinking of cutting off the funny looking foreground and doing up a winter wall hanging for myself.

Yep we all had a great time and got back into the city mid afternoon and relaxed. Then found out that the Hwy #1 was closed and also to Kenora so Sylvia is still here and guess what???? She's helping me to sort through and put away my fabrics this morning, then we went briefly shopping but the parking lots were very icy with roads slushy and this evening we'll do some more fabric sorting. BUT it seems I've tired the old gal out as she just yawned and told me "this city life is not for this country mouse" - HMMMMM!

No comments: