Sunday, January 18, 2009

I'm Experimenting n Recycling!!!

First off THANK YOU Mary Ann McD for your kind generosity!!! Much appreciated!!!

Well a couple of years ago a local quilter had been purging and cut off the fat parts of TWO LARGE garbage bags of men's ties for herself and then asked me if I wanted the other parts!!! Well I jumped at it, see I LOVE doing minis and know that they would be used somehow and eventually.

Well today I decided to pull them out and gather up my choices for the CQI group's Build A Seam Challenge backgrounds and GUESS WHAT - I found some awesome 100% SILK ones and so I've put those aside and will wash them before taking them apart and saving the fabrics for CQing!!! Now I have to go back through them all and pull out all the others I might have missed as I was not reading the tags at first. Then also in those bags was the actual "labels" - WOW wonder what I'll do with these? Hmmm maybe there's a name that might go with the project I'm working on and can be used that way???

Talk about recycling!!!

3 comments:

Robin said...

This post gives me goose bumps! I too am soon to travel into the CQ realm. Having a selection of silk ties would be so awesome! And labels... have you ever seen my Rosie, the Uncaged Hen? The concept for her developed from a label on a necktie, which you can see at her neck area... It says "Endangered Species." I was thinking about art, small farm chickens free ranging, respect for freedom in general and how it all seems a little endangered right now. Long story, but my way of saying YES!!!! to your labels! Hugs, Robin A.

Sabine said...

Hello, Rose Anne,

This was a fun post for me to read. Relatively recently, i.e. a few years back, I discovered the many wonderful, imaginative patterns ties have. Even more recently, about two months ago, I discovered tags. I really don't care to think of all the ties, tags, and other junk I have thrown out over the years! But gone is gone, and it is never too late to start accumulating new stuff.

By the way, in Berlin there is a fashion designer who makes the most fantastic day and evening wear of tags and ties. I saw two or three of her fashion shows. The audience was absolutely enthusiastic about them. I will do some research to find out whether she has a website. If she does, I will let you have the address, so you can have a look just for fun.

Best regards,
Sabine

Anonymous said...

Silk ties! What a lucky deal. You can make some great fan blocks with those pieces.