Friday, November 07, 2008

Another Item Finished!

Well guess buckling down and making hay while the money is gone works! Yep, basically been lying low and stitching, reading, relaxing and watching TV this last month and I'm making headway with some commitments backlogged here. My next project is the Christmas hanger for my friend (should have been mailed a couple of months ago for NZ), October birthday and November 1st Spiders swap postcards and then my CQd RR blocks (which I'm very anxious to get started on I can tell you). I's catching up and hopefully by the New Year will have the swaps all on time again!!!

Okay without further ado I can tell you this is the first time I've participated in this type of swap (been in similar SS swaps) and I thoroughly enjoyed it. Now one could find a lovely fabric, prepare a CQd block or prepare a CQd block with some of your own embellishments as the cracker wrapping which held various lovely items for CQing inside the paper towel roll trimmed to 7 inch length and tied on the ends with ribbon. Yep, you guessed it, I did a CQd block with three of my favourite trimmings so I hope my recipient likes it as much as I did working on it. I actually can't wait to see how this block is finished off and maybe used in the end - now that would be something to see eventually.



Here is what some call my "signature" motif - a web and spider, I've been told that I hadn't worked on a piece yet as it was not on!!! This spider has a two seed bead body with metallic bullion knot legs. The centre piece is from some fancy party dress from one of my older sisters.



This feather stitched shrub is on a shiny white velvet which I find a pain to do any details on but this seems to work very lovely. The hand dyed floss branches all meet in the bottom centre but the seed bead branches are added here and there only.



Now this is a variation of a "machine" embroidered motif but I changed the satin stitched centre ring with a Mother of pearl button and hand embroidered with hand dyed floss stems and lazy daisy leaves along it.



And VOILA my finished Christmas Cracker all ready to mail off!!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

How lovely your work is!
Lets just hope your secret swap partner does not hate spiders????
Some people hate them on blocks giggles!
Got to get down to doing mine this weekend, but shall leave un embroidered i think...just in case lol.

Rose Anne B said...

Ohhhhh I hope that is not the case Anonymous (wish you would have signed your name in the message at least). If you look back into the history of CQing you'll see spiders as Good Luck motifs on blocks! Oh dear - what will I do then!!!